Cheap upgrade

jdub

Those things are a complete rip-off, and you will get WORSE gas mileage if it's installed. Let me just say this, letting some schmuck selling "Power Modules" on Ebay readjust the way your engine runs isn't the best way to get more HP out of your engine. That, and gains are very very minimal if at all. I really doubt you'd even notice it. Adding more fuel and changing the timing curve will net you about 1 HP tops on a stock engine.

What an idiot. He couldn't even look up the proper word for his "highly technical" explanation. It should be "stoichiometric", and it's not "efficiency", it's "ratio". ARGH. Stupid people trying to take advantage of others!

When the ECU is in closed loop it attempts to keep the air/fuel mixture ratio at what is called Tachometric efficiency (14.7:1)

Vancouver, WA not BC.

Just after watching all those trucks shows seeing white trash Tracy install chips and stuff, thought this may actually do a little, but oh well. It wouldn't fit mine anyways.

Vancouver, WA not BC.

Just after watching all those trucks shows seeing white trash Tracy install chips and stuff, thought this may actually do a little, but oh well. It wouldn't fit mine anyways.

Nah, they're doing actual computer upgrades and bypasses, etc. Those are actual engineered and tested systems that modify or reprogram the stock system. This thing just crosses the connections on the MAF, if I remember right, putting a little resistance there to trick the computer into dumping in a little more fuel.

Guest bryan89

4x4 parts sells an entire computer upgrade. it claims to give 5-10 hp. do you think that they are worth it? or should i just get a cam/exhaust etc...

it seems to me that if you do not change the computer in todays cars for more performance, instead just putting in performance parts, that you won't see as much benefit than if you changed the computer first. think about it. if you put a cam shaft with more lift and duration in a engine with a stock computer, the engine would just run with the same ignition and fuel curves as before eventhough you changed an internal component.

Dont get me wrong. You probably/definately would see some change in performance with just the performance parts, but it seems to me that you could "unleash" even more power if you changed the computer first.

what do you guys think?

4x4parts computer link4x4parts.com

...You probably/definately would see some change in performance with just the performance parts, but it seems to me that you could "unleash" even more power if you changed the computer first.

what do you guys think?

Don't you mean "unleash" your bank account? $489.95 plus a $500 deposit, or a dead Pathy until they send it back to you. For 8-10hp, you're looking at $48.99/horsepower at best. Hmmm... I think I'll just take my time getting from stop light to stop light.

4x4 parts sells an entire computer upgrade. it claims to give 5-10 hp. do you think that they are worth it? or should i just get a cam/exhaust etc...

it seems to me that if you do not change the computer in todays cars for more performance, instead just putting in performance parts, that you won't see as much benefit than if you changed the computer first. think about it. if you put a cam shaft with more lift and duration in a engine with a stock computer, the engine would just run with the same ignition and fuel curves as before eventhough you changed an internal component.

Dont get me wrong. You probably/definately would see some change in performance with just the performance parts, but it seems to me that you could "unleash" even more power if you changed the computer first.

what do you guys think?

if you were going to do a cam/exhaust, I would SERIOUSLY consider getting the computer done at the same time ... you'll get the very best out of your rig that way ...

True "Performance Chips" from a trusted seller for your specific car are around $200-$400.

Besides the advertisment says "1997-2004" Aren't the 2001-2004 engines completely different from the 1997-2000?

True "Performance Chips" from a trusted seller for your specific car are around $200-$400.

Besides the advertisment says "1997-2004" Aren't the 2001-2004 engines completely different from the 1997-2000?

But I believe you can't just put a chip in the Pathy, you have to yank the computer and send it in to have the new chip soldered in or something. That, or put down the deposit they're talking about. The ones I've seen are in that price range ($500). There's also a company out of El Cajon, CA (near San Diego) that specializes in Nissans, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Jim Wolf Technology or JWT is the ONLY company that reprograms Nissan ECU's. If you see a chip upgrade that is not made by JWT it will do jack nothing to your performance. And yes you do have to pull your ecu and send it to them or pay a deposit.

Jim Wolf Technology or JWT is the ONLY company that reprograms Nissan ECU's. If you see a chip upgrade that is not made by JWT it will do jack nothing to your performance. And yes you do have to pull your ecu and send it to them or pay a deposit.

Jim Wolf, that's the one I was thinking of. They only stuck in my head cause that's where I was born and lived as a kid.

There's no chip in particular to pull or replace in a Pathfinder because it's all hardwired and soldered to the mobo in the Nissan ECU. Just a different way to do it...takes special equipment and a tried-and-true map of what works to upgrade it. If you had all the stuff to hook up to it yourself, you could try modifying the base map of the ECU, but I really don't know how that would work out. You might end up with a ECU that doesn't work at all anymore. :)

There's no chip in particular to pull or replace in a Pathfinder because it's all hardwired and soldered to the mobo in the Nissan ECU. Just a different way to do it...takes special equipment and a tried-and-true map of what works to upgrade it. If you had all the stuff to hook up to it yourself, you could try modifying the base map of the ECU, but I really don't know how that would work out. You might end up with a ECU that doesn't work at all anymore. :)

Yep, one area where the domestics are actually more user-friendly. A very rare thing indeed, though. :crazy:

Guest bryan89
Don't you mean "unleash" your bank account? $489.95 plus a $500 deposit, or a dead Pathy until they send it back to you. For 8-10hp, you're looking at $48.99/horsepower at best. Hmmm... I think I'll just take my time getting from stop light to stop light.

i can see that if you are just going to put an exhaust and intake on your truck. i plan to completely rebuild another engine ( bore out cylinders, port/polish heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust etc....) the works. now if i did all that on a stock computer, i wouldn't have as near the power as if i put the aftermarket computer in. the possible gains are exponential (please excuse the math term)

the more performance parts you add with a changed computer the better and better your results will be. whereas if you just plan to do one mod to your engine, the return won't be there.

i guess what i am trying to say is, with an upgraded computer, the more mods the better? sounds right to me.

i can see that if you are just going to put an exhaust and intake on your truck. i plan to completely rebuild another engine ( bore out cylinders, port/polish heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust etc....) the works. now if i did all that on a stock computer, i wouldn't have as near the power as if i put the aftermarket computer in. the possible gains are exponential (please excuse the math term)

the more performance parts you add with a changed computer the better and better your results will be. whereas if you just plan to do one mod to your engine, the return won't be there.

i guess what i am trying to say is, with an upgraded computer, the more mods the better? sounds right to me.

Nobody's arguing that. I'm just saying, the more mods, the faster your bank account shrivels up. I'm not about to trade in the 401K to squeeze out huge power. I've accepted slowness cause I don't have a coule thousand to blow on the Pathy right now. But knock yourself out if you can do it, and be sure to post what you do here!