87-90/91 vs. 91-95

Mr. Pickles

Of course there are the obvious things, like 2 doors vs 4, carb vs. FI. I was cruising around the boneyard yesterday and found myself wondering if anyone has discovered any BIG differences between the model years that would affect a person who is, say shopping for front suspension components. I know this is a huge topic to cover, and maybe in need of a sticky in the long run if people are interested. This is also probably of importance to any new owners. Basically, are there any red (or green) lights as far as what is compatible between the major years/models, especially the oder body-on-frame trucks?

None of the Pathfinders were carbureted. 87-89 got TBI, 90-95 have MPFI. All of a 7 HP difference.

87-89's have different CV axles and auto hubs than the 90-95's.

There are a large number of interior package and trim level equippage option differences.

Of course, there's the grille/bumper differences. The chrome packages on the 87-90-something models were all kinda crappy, and the 93-95 chrome packages were nice and rounded.

Rear suspension is different in some year models, some of the 90-95 models had tubular rear control arms instead of the cast-iron ones. The H233B rear axle was a little different in some years, but I can't verify that for all models.

There's a ton of differences. I can't name them all, I don't know them all and I don't pretend to. :)

do you want me to take a picture and prove you all wrong?

:blink:

I think 88's brain is in the USA and not considering the international aspect of the question. :)

I'm sorry, none of the US Pathy's were carbed. For that matter, only about .01% of them were 4-cylinders in the US as well, so therefore I never get to see 'em. :)

The TBI system isn't even close to being a carburetor. It's fully computer controlled and has integrated electronics. :P