Glove Box Lock

AlMac

Hey guys,

i had a bit of a problem a few days ago..

i was pulled over by a cop, for a burnt out bulb, and couldn't open my glove box lock for my insurance papers! :ohno01:

the lock does turn(kinda hardto turn), there's a clicking noise, but the box refuses to open! P...

Anyway, i was lucky she just gave me a warning. I should've got here number, she was shweet! :tongue: But she DID have a gun, so i didn't ask! :D

Is there another way into it, from under the dash or something? I REALLY need those papers before something really bad happens.

any thoughts before i get pissed off and rip it open? :ar15:

thanks for yer comments.

You probably either didn't unlock it or have something stuck in the latch. If you need to get more wiggle room, you can pull the hinge pins out at the bottom of the box, they are L shaped and just clip in.

You probably either didn't unlock it or have something stuck in the latch. If you need to get more wiggle room, you can pull the hinge pins out at the bottom of the box, they are L shaped and just clip in.

thanks GG. ill give it a try tomorrow.

just an update.

i removed the bottom pins on the glovebox, and put a flat putty knife into the top of the box to open it.

Broke the plastic lock 'striker' :ohno01: .

with the box out, i found that the lock mechanism itself is trashed. Tumbler's wrecked. I turn the key, nothing happens.. the inside 'pins' don't move at all.

If it wasnt for the fact that the lock keeps the door closed, i wouldnt even put a new lock on there at all..

Pathy gloveboxes were not meant for security!

I guess im off the the boneyard to find a new striker and lock.

Has anyone had any luck with a locksmith repairing the glovebox lock?

Removing the box has also opened up the dash a bit for me to do an exploratory to find an area above the box for gauge placement. Looks like this will be a no go.

Not much empty space up there, and to take the rest of the dash apart would be a nightmare! Too bad, i was looking foreward to drilling a few 2" holes and placing my new gauges there. :unsure:

laterz

Removing the box has also opened up the dash a bit for me to do an exploratory to find an area above the box for gauge placement. Looks like this will be a no go.

Not much empty space up there, and to take the rest of the dash apart would be a nightmare! Too bad, i was looking foreward to drilling a few 2" holes and placing my new gauges there. :unsure:

laterz

I saw either a Pathy or Hardbody that had done just that. They drilled holes in the plastic above the glove box for their gauges so they sat in the dash.

As for the locksmith thing, dunno, if you get a new lock the smithy should be able to set it to work with your key. As for security, the lock is there more to keep the honest, honest. If anyone really wants in something, they'll find a way.

I saw either a Pathy or Hardbody that had done just that. They drilled holes in the plastic above the glove box for their gauges so they sat in the dash.

As for the locksmith thing, dunno, if you get a new lock the smithy should be able to set it to work with your key. As for security, the lock is there more to keep the honest, honest. If anyone really wants in something, they'll find a way.

I would really like to mount my gauges there, but am really unsure on how to proceed with taking the dash apart. :unsure:

I searched around but couldn't find dissasembly how to anywhere. *ponders*

With any luck i can figure this out before i fix my glove box, and put it all back together at one time.

It seems that nissan stealership really wants a bundle for a silly lock. I guess its boneyard for me 2morrow.

laterez.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like ALL the boneyards in town sell their locks to local insurace company. :omg:

I think i called every yard in the pages.

I guess the stealership will be robbing me this weekend! Grrr...

:suicide: