Control Arm ?'s

csutke

I have searched but got no real answers to my question. When I take off from a stop or pull up to stop my body will kinda lurch forward or backward depending on momentum (best way i can describe it). Is this caused by bad control arms? i have looked at the lower arm bushing and they seam to be in decent shape. Is there a mileage that these start to go or is it just based on use and such. If it is the arms, im planning on replacing the whole arm in stead of trying to cut the old bushing out and pressing the new ones in (as i dont have a press or know anybody that does). Where can i find new arms, beside the stealership? Ive tried on AC as i thought ive seen them on there before but no luck. Also if i do end up replacing the arms does any body have any tips that will make the process easier. I know that the bolts will be rusted on but will PB blaster help or should i just cut them off? Thanks for any input

Isaac

I would suggest that your shock absorbers are shot. With regard to replacing your control arms look at my 'Fitting Poly Bushes' post http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15241

they shouldnt be shot, they're Rancho RS 9000X that i put on about 3 months ago.

I have read those thread and theres good info in them. Does this sound like the control arms? Where can i find them in the US besides the dealer?

Sorry mate but in your original post you didn't say you had new shocks fitted.

Did the car lurch like this prior to fitting the new shocks?

Did you replace the existing springs with new ones or uprated ones when you replaced the shocks?

Did you replace all shocks front and rear?

How bad is the lurching? Don't forget that the car is heavy and you will always get some momentum.

i installed the AC lift that i had for it a few months and thats when i put the new shocks, struts, and coils on. I dont think that it did this before but i cant remember for sure, and i know that its a heavy vehicle but this seams like something is not right

If its lurching thats the bushings. Go back out and make it lurch again and see if the body drops in the back end. That would then be your bushings.

thats what its doin, thanks. Is it just the rear or the front as well. If its just the rear do i have to replace both the upper and lower arms or just one or the other? where can i get them (besides the dealer) as i dont want to deal with getting the old bushing out and getting new ones in

Yea my cousin and I just put in the poly bushings from AC. We had a hell of a time - had to cut two bolts and air hammer a third one out. Plus all the brake cable bracket bolts sheared off. And pressing out the old ones was a chore but it went ok only thanks to a 20-ton press. The 'finder rides like a new vehicle now and is nice and quiet, though - no more 'bucket of bolts' rattling over bumps, and the handling improved a lot too. Definitely worth the PITA 3 hour replacement job.

Definitely your control arms. We normally charge customers about $1400 parts and labor to replace them at the dealership I work at. So, if you can do it yourself you can save some money, but they aren't all that easy. And we usually start to see them go around the 90,000 mile mark.

Edited by Destro

Definitely your control arms. We normally charge customers about $1400 parts and labor to replace them at the dealership I work at. So, if you can do it yourself you can save some money, but they aren't all that easy. And we usually start to see them go around the 90,000 mile mark.

Ive only got about 65 to 70K but it had sit in a garage for about 2 1/2 years and didnt really get driven so im guessing that it could be a little dry rot? Do you have any tips on how to do this myself? Do you know where i can get some besides the dealership?

Yeah that is way $$ Guess that is why they call it a "stealership". No offense Destro. Csutke, if you do have to take it into a repair shop I recommend Import Auto (not import auto body) They are a small shop specializing in imports. They are located on laporte take laporte west and about 1/2 mile before you hit overland they are on the left hand side of the road. They do all my work on both my pathy and the wifey's honda. They have always given me decent prices and are up-front with me (like calling me before they any work is done to approve. just a thought.

I recommend Import Auto (not import auto body) They are a small shop specializing in imports. They are located on laporte take laporte west and about 1/2 mile before you hit overland they are on the left hand side of the road.

Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know where i can get JUST the ARMS besides the dealer?

If your Import Auto is the same as the one I shop at, they will get you arms only, usually from a junkyard or used parts warehouse. They found me a rare harmonic balancer and shipped it from FL in a day (I'm in PA).

Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know where i can get JUST the ARMS besides the dealer?

Yeah, you can buy the ones you asked about from me in the classifieds. I used them for a couple of months while I putzed around getting my poly bushings in my originals.

They will cost you less than 1/2 of the dealer. I bought them from the dealer and I might be able to scrounge up the receipt.

Yeah, you can buy the ones you asked about from me in the classifieds. I used them for a couple of months while I putzed around getting my poly bushings in my originals.

They will cost you less than 1/2 of the dealer. I bought them from the dealer and I might be able to scrounge up the receipt.

cool thanks, you wanted $100 correct? How much to ship to 80521?

I got my lower control arms from nissan at like $80 a piece because i didnt want to replace the bushings and I had one very bent arm. So it costed me just as much as it would have to put poly bushings in them since I would have to have bought a new arm just to put bushings into. I still need to do my rear ucas and my front lcas.