Starter

bigfisch1191

ok so first of all my starter has allways souded bad (not like any other vehical) but when i whent to start it this morning it sounded really bad like parts flying alover bad clang clang cllek cllek. then i whent under to look at the starter and there was grease and grime all over it so i cleaned as much as i could off and it looked fine, so i whent to start it again and all i hered from the starter was a wizzing noise like the shaft on the starter was not griping (not turning the motor over). so just for kicks i tried it again and now it just clicks. so i looked at the starter again and i found a yellow and green wire with a red tracer coming out of the wireing harness that looked like it was freshly broken off. and now after searching the fourms finding out that a starter is a pain in the ass to take out let alone a new one is 120$ or 40$ at u-pull it. i am looking for any help on that wire or anthing else that might help.

i will add pics later.

ok so first of all my starter has allways souded bad (not like any other vehical) but when i whent to start it this morning it sounded really bad like parts flying alover bad clang clang cllek cllek. then i whent under to look at the starter and there was grease and grime all over it so i cleaned as much as i could off and it looked fine, so i whent to start it again and all i hered from the starter was a wizzing noise like the shaft on the starter was not griping (not turning the motor over). so just for kicks i tried it again and now it just clicks. so i looked at the starter again and i found a yellow and green wire with a red tracer coming out of the wireing harness that looked like it was freshly broken off. and now after searching the fourms finding out that a starter is a pain in the ass to take out let alone a new one is 120$ or 40$ at u-pull it. i am looking for any help on that wire or anthing else that might help.

i will add pics later.

I just yanked mine this past weekend. There was one wiring harness going to the starter. Out of that harness came a large wire, that should give power to the starter motor, it was actually bolted to a lug/stem for electrical contact. The second set of wires looked like 3 wires that went into a plastic connector that plugged into what I will assume is the starter solenoid. This harness should (I'm guessing here) be responsible for energizing the solenoid, which I believe engages a pin to allow current to flow through the main starter motor. I would think that the clicking you would hear would be this starter solenoid firing (and moving its pin), but since you don't get any action from the motor, maybe the motor part actually went kaput.

I've heard you can hit it with a hammer to get it working again. I think the hammer thing works on the solenoid, not on the motor, so maybe that could troubleshoot your problem.

It's not that hard to take out, it just takes time and you get dirty doing it. It's two bolts to remove (on a 1996), one wiring connector, one bolt to remove the power cable, and then 30 minutes (4WD) to get the little son-of-#### out from all the surrounding parts.

Before you hit it with a hammer, I would recommend waiting for some of the veterans who really know what they're talking about :)

ok so i pulled that thing out today (turning the wheels to the drivers side helps alot) and the little gear that pops out to turn the motor over was all tore up and lots of pices of metal off the starter body were broken off. i replaced it with a new to me starter from a junk yard. and it sounds like a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

ok my starter whent out again, the one i put in was a little bigger then the one that was in there but it worked, it acted like it was drawing to many amps (low battery but the batery was good) but after taking it out and testing it it works (somtimes) i think it is the starter cylinoide?

will add pics and update

Edited by bigfisch1191

yea i took the to 3 parts stores and they put it on there mecines and they sed it was junk!

got the new one in and it sounds and works great had to spend 120 bucks but o well somtimes you just have to put the money down.

Edited by bigfisch1191

• 2 weeks later...
the hammer trick is used when the bushing are worn out and are not sticking so you have no concat therefore no power. using a hammer ur hoping to nudge it enouth to work.

This actually hurt me in a way because every time I took the starter out it would bang it around enough to make it work when it was disconnected, giving me the false impression the starter was good and the wiring was bad.

Edited by bigfisch1191