Common Coolant Leak Areas?

Gotrek

Are there any common areas for coolant leaks? Our pathy emptied itself while we were gone on the weekend.

I can see it leaking on the skidplate after it was refilled. It's leaking from the front of the engine near the thermostat housing according to my two fingers that fit in that tiny area :)

Just in case is there anything else near there that leaks frequently and I should replace?

Water pump was changed 30 000km's ago I would guess.

Tighten up any hose clamps first. If that doesn't fix it, buy a new T-stat, and throw it in. It's an inexpensive way to check anyhow. Other than that, it could be the water pump.

Good luck.

there are no usual leak places on these engines.. the tightest motors i have ever seen.

where is thaty bypass hose (slick's)? could be that too if it's on the same side.

I think its the short 3" hose that goes into the T-stat housing... or the housing itself but no way to see properly.

I'm starting dissassembly tomorrow so we'll see. I'll be half way to a timing belt change so I might go ahead and do that while I'm there.

If you pull the Skid plate, you can shine your light up onto the bottom of the water pump snout... you can also use a small inspection mirror to look in and around the t-stat housing and by pass hose....

If it leaked down into the timing cover, you may want to go ahead and do the Pump, t-belt and t-stat.... Coolant has a tendency to degrade them....

there are no usual leak places on these engines.. the tightest motors i have ever seen.

where is thaty bypass hose (slick's)? could be that too if it's on the same side.

upper radiator bypass hose :tongue:

sounds like the h2o pump though

Edited by Slick

upper radiator bypass hose :tongue:

sounds like the h2o pump though

It was the bypass hose... More presisly it's lower clamp which was completely disintegrated. I've got it all apart ready for the crank pulley to come off. Might as well do the timing belt and water pump. I believe the belt is on backwards since the arrows sthat should point to the front are pointing to the front of the engine (to the back) unless that is correct (doubtful)

I'm replacing thew timing belt, wter pump, thermostat and probably the crank seal.

Edited by Gotrek