Oil Pump Removal

PATHY90

i just noticed today that my oil pump is leaking....this blows b/c i just finished doing my t-belt....i mean less then 1k miles ago.. so now i know i have to remove the t-belt again.... and then the crank pulley. to get to the bolts for the pump..also i have to remove the oil pan.. i'm worried about removing the oil pan since i'm not sure what is involved.. any one has any input on this...do i have to support anything or what's the deal... any help would be great..

i just noticed today that my oil pump is leaking....this blows b/c i just finished doing my t-belt....i mean less then 1k miles ago.. so now i know i have to remove the t-belt again.... and then the crank pulley. to get to the bolts for the pump..also i have to remove the oil pan.. i'm worried about removing the oil pan since i'm not sure what is involved.. any one has any input on this...do i have to support anything or what's the deal... any help would be great..

It's probably the front seal, which you don't need to remove the pump to fix.

The actual oil pump removal involves dismantling the engine.

Edited by GhostPath

so how do i go about fixing this up. for reference. it's leaking on the passenger side. were the housing meets the block...i can see it very well throught the passenger wheel well. that is y i figured it the pump. if its the front seal then whoo is this done??

well i finally got around taking that pic..it might not be the best but it's all i have to work with.

OILPUMP.jpg

from the pic i'm leaking oil from were the aluminum part is attached to the block.. just left of the PS bracket.. now if it's indeed the oil pump.. could this be done in the drive way or do you need some advance tools like a tranny jack, and things like that... thanks for any help..

oh and here is a pic of the two diffrent heads i replaced 1K ago..

HEADS.jpg

from the pic i'm leaking oil from were the aluminum part is attached to the block.. just left of the PS bracket.. now if it's indeed the oil pump.. could this be done in the drive way or do you need some advance tools like a tranny jack, and things like that... thanks for any help..

See the attached pic - is there oil where the green arrow is, or only in the area of the red arrow?post-3940-1185846497_thumb.jpg

it looked like in between when i had her running.right at the joint. and she was leaking bad..usually about a quart a day driving about 40mile. i know it wasn't from the cam seals. i even cleaned it up to check again. and i was definatly from the joint.

it looked like in between when i had her running.right at the joint. and she was leaking bad..usually about a quart a day driving about 40mile. i know it wasn't from the cam seals. i even cleaned it up to check again. and i was definatly from the joint.

Wipe/hose down the entire area as clean as you can get it, dust it with talcum powder or cornstarch, then run the engine again and watch it to see where it's leaking. Most likely, it will be coming from the front main seal.

It is, however, possible that you cracked the oil pump housing while doing the timing belt if you pried off the crankshaft sprocket as is preferred. If that's the case, you get to remove the engine to fix it.

so the end restult is i have no choice but to remove the engine to remoce the oil pump??? dam that sux

Only if the oil pump housing is at fault. It's far more likely that it is the crankshaft (not camshaft) seal at fault.

understandable but i have no oil near the crank...so i'm ASSUMING it's the pump...BTW y dose the engine have to be taken out to remove the pump? i don't think it's cracked just needs to be reseal.

understandable but i have no oil near the crank...so i'm ASSUMING it's the pump...BTW y dose the engine have to be taken out to remove the pump? i don't think it's cracked just needs to be reseal.

Sounds like you cracked the housing getting the crankshaft gear off.

If memory serves, you must remove the engine to drop the oil pan and crankshaft to get access to the backside of the oil pump housing. You have to detach the pickup for the pump. I've attached a pic of the system below.

post-3940-1186005779_thumb.png

Edited by GhostPath

You do not have to remove the motor from the vehicle, just going to take time to drop the front diff. Here are some directon for you.....

Disconnect battery ground cable.

Remove air duct from engine compartment.

Remove cooling fan.

Disconnect upper and lower radiator hoses.

Remove fan shroud.

Remove drive belts.

Remove crankshaft pulley and front and lower belt covers.

Remove undercover, then drain engine oil.

On 4x4 models, proceed as follows:

Disconnect front propeller shaft from differential carrier.

Remove front driveshaft attaching bolts.

Remove front differential carrier member bolts.

Support front differential carrier with suitable jack and remove attaching fixing bolts.

Remove front differential carrier bleeder hose.

Remove differential front mounting bolts.

Remove front differential carrier.

Remove front differential carrier mounting bracket.

On all models, remove idler arm.

Remove starter motor.

Remove transmission to rear engine mounting bracket attaching nuts.

Remove engine mounting bolts or nuts.

Remove engine gussets.

On 4x4 models, raise engine if necessary and disconnect exhaust tube.

On all models, remove oil pan attaching bolts and the oil pan. Loosen bolts in sequence, Fig. 1.

Remove oil pump assembly.

Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:

Apply a continuous bead of suitable sealant .138 - .177 inch wide to oil pan mating surface.

Tighten bolts in reverse order of removal.

I have done several oil pans without pushing the engine up or even loosening the mounts, but others I have. Make sure you take your time, borrow a torque wrench for the pump so you dont overdo it! I would make sure you are 100% that its the oil pump. I would make that decision after I tore the timing belt back off and make sure you didnt nic a seal or something like that.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder