Automatic Trans Question

ibfishin

A new Pathfinder owner here and a new member to this forum. I have a '94, XE model that is giving me a transmission problem. Sometimes it does not want to shift, it will keep winding till I let off the gas then it will shift fine, does this through all gears, wind up and let off gas to get it to shift. Other times it will shift fine, just does it in spells. I changed the filter and fluid but it did not help the problem. I was told it could be the "Vehicle Speed Sensor" or "

Throttle Position Sensor" by the Autozone folks but I been steered wrong by them before. Also checked the computer for codes but all I got was code 55, which should mean it's OK.

Thanks in advance for any answers to this problem

Welcome aboard!!

The Autobone(head) people are wrong. It's probably neither.

My guess is you have a solenoid issue or the friction clutches are just worn out. You need to see a transmission shop, preferably one that will not condemn the trans right off the bat ("Oh, your transmission is junk, that will be $2000 please."), and actually diagnose the problem.

Happened to an '86 Hardbody pickup we used for delivery. The trans finally blew, but the truck had 335,000 miles on it.

Good luck. Check the search on here and you'll find all sorts of transmission stuff.

how many miles? 132,000

look into the trasmission cooler mod, pronto.

could be shift selenoid... there is also a button on the stick shift that makes it shift way late.. is that pup pressed in? That would be the overdrive button, right, if so I have tryed pushing it with no change

I would also like to add that when this problem developed I also began having a little hesitation when I accelerate, like its flooding a little when I give it gas from a dead stop.

Yesterday I drove it to work and did not have the hesitation or shifting problem, it is only happening at certain times it seems.

Actually, if it's flooding at times as well, the Autobone(head) folks could be right on the TPS. That could actually cause the combination symptoms you're experiencing, as a bad TPS can throw off a bunch of other sensors.

Wow...you are describing the exact same problem I have been having over the last month or so. The engine seems like it wants to stall when you hit the gas from a slow rolling start, and shifting is delayed and/or rough. Also, as you mentioned, the problem doesn't occur all the time. As mzxtreme brought up, in my case the magic shift button is not depressed (I pretty much never hit it)...as I believe that just allows the RPM's to climb to the super-WD21-acceleration-mode. :tongue:

Anyway, my best guess was that it was the old friction clutches wearing out, causing delayed shifting and allowing RPM's to drop too low (hence the near-stall sensation). However this was just a guess as I had not thought of the shift selenoid being bad. That seems like it could be a potential problem as well.

If anyone knows definately what the problem could be and how to fix it (minus a tranny swap) it would be appreciated. We could make two "customers" happy then!! :jig:

Until then I'll just keeping running my rig until the tranny gets too tired and old and finally gives in. Then maybe a 350 swap??? I'm sure the lift and tires I'm putting on this weekend (or next) won't help the problem, but OH WELL!

Laters,

Rusty

Hmm...just saw Simon's post above mine (he must have posted it as I was typing mine)...if that theory is correct where should we go to get said TPS sensor? Don't bother saying junkyards...my local one doesn't have any old Pathy's...but would Autozone/Pep Boys/NAPA/etc carry such a part for our rigs? How much should we expect to spend, and where is the sensor located.

I know that's a lot of silly questions...but you guys can handle it! :)

Edited by rustyole88pathy

Well, first off, without throwing money at it.....I'd try to find someone with the same year, or at least, engine type VG30e, or i, as the case may be....and try swapping the TPS to see if it cures the issue. Not sure if that's an option for either of you.

I'm just going off, what I think, is logical deduction. I could be way off. I drive (drove, will drive again) a manual tranny.....therefore, have never experienced what you're describing.

Do you have a voltmeter? You can test the TPS to make sure it works...or not. Let me know and I can post a scanned page from my factory service manual.

Don't got one, but I got a friend with one

My R50's auto does a similar, maybe identical thing. When I'm accelerating, I need to ease off the gas to get it to change gears. I've had it looked at and was told that mechanically it looks fine, so I'm thinking its something it must have learned from me, since I have a habit of easing off the gas when its time to shift from my stick days.