Preload Adjustment?

Nissan3

hey, I want to replace the front rotors on my 03 pathy with 4wd. I was looking in fsm and it seems simple enough. The thing is the manual says to do a preload adjustment after wheel bearing has been reassembled. Has anyone actually done this? is it something I can skip?

thanks for any suggestions.

In order to remove the rotors to replace them, you have to take the whole wheel hub assembly off of the spindle, which involves disassembling the wheel bearings. While you're in there, you may as well repack them. You MUST properly adjust the pre-load properly, otherwise everything will not go back together properly, and you will run into some serious problems down the road.

copy and paste since that link will be dead in several months:

The 96-99 R50 FSM explains a complex method to properly torque down the rotors. Most likely you won't have the proper tools, and probably not the patience, either (I don't). The method is extremely trying but at least it answers your question.

Tighten WHEEL BEARING LOCK NUT to 58 - 72 ft lbs. Turn wheel several times in both directions. Loosen lock nut to 0 ft lbs. Retightnen to only 4.3 - 13 INCH, not foot, lbs. Turn wheel several times in both directions. Retightnen again to same 4.3 - 13 INCH lbs. Measure axle end play. Should be 0. With a spring gauge on one of the hub bolts, measure and record the force of the wheel. Install LOCK WASHER and tighten lock nut within 15 - 30 degrees. Turn wheel several times again in both directions to seat bearing. Re-measure force of the wheel with spring gauge. Subtract First measurement from second. Difference should be 1.59 - 4.72 lbs. If outside range, tighten or loosen lock nut within + or - 15 degrees, reinstall lock washer and repeat steps until within tolerance.

Told you it was trying.

Edited by FUELER

I don't understand the section about the spring gauge. especially the latter part of this:

"With a spring gauge on one of the hub bolts, measure and record the force of the wheel"

From where and to where does the gauge go.

I've never had to use one before, so just a heads up would be cool. Thanks.

Everything else is understandable.