Frame Rust

Defiant

Hello all

Just bought a 95SE in Excellent condition and was reading all the comments on here about Frame Rust so it got me a little Worried .Went and looked at it and the Frame seems fine there is a little Rust here and there but seems pretty solid even hit it with a Hammer and all went good .I read that there were no weep hole's in the Frame but this one has hole's on both sides of the Frame Front to Back do you think Someone might have drilled them

Thanks

No...those are there in all our frames. The problem is there's none on the bottom, for the frame to drain out.

Make sure you spray it out with a power washer regularly to keep it in good shape.

Thanks for the reply I was meaning on the bottom of the rails there are holes about every 2 feet or less about 3/8 in diameter maybe I will get some pics .

Edited by Defiant

I uploaded to photo bucket here are the Pics the truck is in great shape previous owner musta took great care of it .

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0139.jpg

Edited by Defiant

Defiant,

I just sprayed some of the frame and a good part of the underbelly (especially under the rear seats) with a rubberized undercoating I picked up at NAPA. I figure it should do a pretty good job of protecting from further rusting down there. I had already done some patch-work to fight the existing rust. Trust me, fight the rust before it appears or as soon as it appears. Small rust spots can turn into gaping holes if left unattended!

We have rust issues in SouthEast WI since they use 10 pounds of salt per foot on the roads at first sign of snow. A frame like yours being clean would last maybe 5 years unless you rustproof it. washing is hard when it is 10 below for a few weeks. so POR-15 (or whatever; not looking for that arguement today) then the rubberized undercoating is my plan (As I just got a Cali Pathy that is hardly rusty myself) but my old 95 was a good frame at first.

Salt is the Devil! :thumbsdown:

Hey Guys,

I wanted to chime in. I live in New England. Salt sucks. Anyway, i found a cool product called "chassis saver" at my local auto parts store. You brush it on, will very little prep, and it penetrates and bonds with the steel supposedly. The stuff, when it dries, is like Armor. it's very flexible but tough as hell. It claims that moisture is absorbed by the chemical and i've seen that on a real humid day, it dries even faster when painted on. Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

Check it out...