Thinking About Buying A '95

Torpedo

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum.

I have owned SEVERAL 4runners and love them dearly. Unfortunately, the 1st gen 'runners are getting harder and harder to find and when you do folks want a lot more for them than they are worth.

So through my searching i have found a 1995 Pathfinder that i like quite a bit. There are a few issues with it...

1-Previous owner states the odometer quit working last may at 125k miles. He says he doesnt drive much so he estimates the mileage to be close to 135k.

2-He claims the exhaust manifold is shot and thats a defect common to these trucks.

3-He claims to have replaced the tranny last year.

The only thing that really scares me is the odo because it couldve quit years ago. It would pretty much be going all on trust. The asking price is a little under $3000.

Does all that sound like a good deal so far? Are there any problems that i should look out for?? Anything in particular i should look at when i go for a test drive?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

not sure where you are but look in on kbb's site as the price seems a little on the tall side.

have him show you the receipt for the tranny.. find out if it has an external cooler now or not. ask about timing belt; see if it has been done..

seems high on the price, and i feel your pain on the toyota's im a big toyota guy but you can't beat the price and durability of the pathfinders. The VG30 lasts forever and makes more power then the toyota 22re (toyota's 3.0 is a ticking timebomb wiht headgaskets) the SE nissans come with a rear LSD a great thing plus 31's stock, the diffs are super strong, lifting them 2-2 1/2 inches is super cheap and easy with cranked front torsen bars and some jeep grand cherokee v8 spring (front) on the rear. Comparing them to cherokee's is tough but overall pathies are cheaper to maintain and cherokees have the easily breakable dana 35's and what 4.0 doesn't leak oil or have had an overheating issue? The downsides to a pathfinder is the rear frame rot (believe me i have it) at least here in the rust belt, underneath the back seat rot, and leaky exhaust manifold, mine clears up after 2-3min of driving. Overall mileage doesnt scare me just rust or the trannies. Mine had 214 doesn't leak or burn oil or anythin runs like a top and everyone else seems to say the same thing. good luck and i think you'll make the right decision.

Scott