Water pump?

FordFoxGT

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

OK guys here it goes. I have a high pitch squeel from the belts when ever the RPM hit 2500 and on. At first I thought that it could be old belts, 190,000+ miles and they didn't look to good. $12 and I was out the door with my new belts. Quick fix to a common problem. WRONG!! It still did the annoying squeel and I'm starting to get agravated(sp?). So next I thought maybe it could be the altenator, maybe the bearings were going on me and strarting to bind up. Plus it gave me and excuse to put a beefier one in. I was thinging about the Quest mod, but also looking at other models so I didn't have to do all the fab and grinding. Well my alt died on me last night, which I was kinda excited about because I thought my squeel would be gone, but at the same time hadn't found a worthy alt to swap in my old ones place. So new stocker in, (I hate all AutoZones BTW) squeel not gone!! -thnkboutit- So now the only other thing that I think it could be is my water pump not keeping up after 2500 RPM and slowing the pully making it squeek against the belts. I know it's not the A/C pump because it's not connected, or the P/S pump because I've rev'd the motor from the engine bay and it's coming from the center of the engine. If it IS the water pump, I might as well change the timing belt, and all those seals that 88 changed during his write up. Then since I have the radiator disconnected I might as well do my body lift. And then I should do the tranny cooler, and then the oil filter relocator, and then the headers, and then MSD ignition, and then plugs and wires, and then new steering, and then...... P...

Man the water pump could be expensive! But seriously though I need help. It's an '87 SE(2 doors rock!!)

Thanks

Smitty

88 you want to make a trip to NY, and do the pump change, I mean help me do the pump change. LOL I'll buy some beer, and pick your brain. :beer:

Hahaha

You buy the plane tickets, I'll fly on over with pliers and flashlight in hand! ;)

Changing that water pump out isn't all that bad. You can do it in a day if you just directly remove and replace stuff. But me, I like to clean everything off, replace hose clamps, ziptie wiring back together, etc, etc, etc...ended up taking me all weekend to do all my stuff. :aok:

If its your water pump squealing, I'd think you'd find out really quick, as it would die. Mine squealed (more like shrieked) when it died a few months ago and only lasted a few miles of limping and praying.

it doesn sound like the water pump bearings are going out. but as 88 stated its not that hard to change. I've done mine twice once because of a bad seal and the second one only lasted about 1 month.. defective. just be sure not to over tension your belts or that will cause premature bearing failure. If you have never changed your timing belt. do it at that time. belt is only 20 bucks and if it breaks your looking at 400 bucks in parts alone. and thats if your 87 is pre 6/86 if it is post, the head gaskets are 3 times the price.

have fun

It's been doing it for a while now, about 3 months, and only when over 2500 RPM. Is there any way to test it? I have another engine to put in it but it'd as old and wore as the one in my rig now. I want to warm it over before I swap motors. I think that I'll just limp it out, and try not to go insane from the noise. :wacko: If it dies "oh well". It's kinda nice having a parts vehicle sittings around!! :cool2: It's a white 88 BTW if any one is interested in any thing that I haven't got from it yet.

87, How would I check the date? Door plates, Vin decode??

Smitty

If you want to check for sure if it is the water pump, remove the belt altogether. Running it for 10 - 15 seconds without the pump circulating antifreeze won't harm anything. (especially if you do this when the engine is cold to start with)

I would want to make sure it isn't the idler pulley that keeps tension on the the timing belt. It would be a pain to change the water pump and find out you have to go back in there again for a pulley/bearing.

Brian

I might give that a try. I was looking in my Haynes manual and it says that the pump might squeal if its going.

Smitty

Brian,

I just did what you sugested, and there was no noise with the belt off. Atleast now I know what it is and can start to gather parts and what not. I'm not going insane anymore trying to figure out what the heck is making the noise.

Thanks guys

Smitty

I already had the A/C pump belt off. I don't use A/C up here anyway, I've got windows and vents. LOL Parasitic drag has no place under my hood. :D