A/c System Removal

nige

I searched around the forums but I can't find anything in ther threads about removing the A/C system. I don't think there's any pressure in my lines and the a/c hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I never use it and I was thinking about having an alternator fill the void left by the compressor after I remove it. Have any of you folks done the same thing in your trucks? I'm wondering if removing things like lines, compressor, condenser etc will cause other malfunctions in the electric circuits or HVAC system. I have a factory service manual for my truck but it doesn't mention anything about the physical components of the system; only the troubleshooting test procedures.

I got most of the hoses under the hood out. I think i have to take the grille and bumper off to get the condenser off. How did you undo the two mounting bolts on the underside of the compressor? Mine won't budge and I don't have very much room to maneuver the rachet around. I have skinny girly arms so that doesn't help either :gay: I was able to loosen the top bolt, but i figured it would be best to remove that one last.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

the best i can remember due to being almost 2 years ago that i did this is that the bottom bolt on the compressor was a pain to get out. i have a 3" body lift on mine which made it a little easier. i think i did take off the bumper and grill to get the condensor off. are you leaving the evaporator under the dash in, or are you taking that out too. one thing to do is take it slow. i was in a hurry and broke part of the evap. housing when taking it out. just remember the little plug needs to be saved because that is your speed control for the heater fan.

• 3 months later...

Just so you guys know, I didn't have to remove the front bumper to get the condesor out. I did have to remove the grille and center radiator support (the vertical one in the middle) to get the condensor out. There are a few bolts that hold the condesor at the top and a couple more on the backside about halfway down. The evap canister came off no problem. I suppose you could save the aluminum pipes that connect everything together, but I just chopped them and tore them out. My system was bone dry when I took it all apart so I didn't spill and refrigerant at all. I don't think re-134 is harmful to the environment anyhow. I will try to take my compressor out tonight. It looks as though NTC adventure weekend cooked my alternator. :/

D'oh! Not another one.

Once I successfully rebuild one of mine, and test it, I'll show you how to rebuild yours. According to Steve (Coconut) it's fairly simple.

I searched around the forums but I can't find anything in ther threads about removing the A/C system. I don't think there's any pressure in my lines and the a/c hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I never use it and I was thinking about having an alternator fill the void left by the compressor after I remove it. Have any of you folks done the same thing in your trucks? I'm wondering if removing things like lines, compressor, condenser etc will cause other malfunctions in the electric circuits or HVAC system. I have a factory service manual for my truck but it doesn't mention anything about the physical components of the system; only the troubleshooting test procedures.

im kinda late on this 1 but I have the exact same idea but left everything in dash and pulled the lines and compressor...I have not fabbed up brackets for the alt but I want to run all of my accessories off of it adn possibly a welder...I did tape off my evap openings in case i ever go back and put ac on but highly unlikely

i got the cond out by removing the grill as you said and left the bumper in tact...

D'oh! Not another one.

Once I successfully rebuild one of mine, and test it, I'll show you how to rebuild yours. According to Steve (Coconut) it's fairly simple.

I saw his thread on the NTC board and followed his instructions while I took apart the maxi alti last night. The only thing i was concerned about was the rust on the inside of the stator. The brushes were fine (the inside one was a little more worn, but still about 1 cm long) and the bearings were smooth as glass, so I just re-lubed the brushes, cleaned up the copper and put it back together. I will have to rebuild the broken one for a spare unless it's really pooched. Now i just need to get the pulley off the old one. Good thing I have a garage within a 5 min walk.

Edited by skrillaguerilla