Rear Main Seal

Make sure it's the rear main and not your oilpan or anything else. That'd be a lot of work to do just to find out it's not what was leaking. Just so you know, rear mains on a VG engine are not even close to the same design as a Chevy or Ford rear main. The oilpan is completely separate.

That'd be a lot of work to do just to find out it's not what was leaking

Changing the oil pan gasket is still a lot of work...and if its a manual i would recommend a clutch and all of that jazz at the same time if its anywhere near needing to be done...

• 3 weeks later...
i found that the leak was coming from my valve cover gasket. after a new gasket set and 1 tube of high temp permatex the leak is gone.

thanks all

see, now wouldn't you have been pissed at taking your trans loose to fix the rms? hehehe

i would still be pissed. it sucks the way i found out where the leak was...

...go to start the truck, no starter. walked to the gas station (6 am) in the rain for jumper cables. jump start didnt work. walked to auto zone (still raining) for a new starter. my brother comes over and we push start the pathy. on the way to his house to replace starter i get cut off and bumped into a wall on the highway, then rear ended and knocked back across the highway and over a curb. extremely minimal damage to pathy!!! BTW anyone know where to find taillights? :rant2::rant2:

Damn, I would be HEATROED after a day like that.

i would still be pissed. it sucks the way i found out where the leak was...

...go to start the truck, no starter. walked to the gas station (6 am) in the rain for jumper cables. jump start didnt work. walked to auto zone (still raining) for a new starter. my brother comes over and we push start the pathy. on the way to his house to replace starter i get cut off and bumped into a wall on the highway, then rear ended and knocked back across the highway and over a curb. extremely minimal damage to pathy!!! BTW anyone know where to find taillights? :rant2::rant2: