Stuck Cranskshaft Key

GhostPath

I'm working on changing the timing belt and water pump on my 93 Pathfinder (VG30). Got the remains of the buggered-up-by-prior-owner harmonic balancer off the crank easily enough; unfortunately, the crankshaft woodruff key won't come off - seems to be rusted in place. I've doused it with penetrants; before I go back to attack it later, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Number one thing I can recommend is that you replace it with a new one once you get it out. With that in mind, grab it with a pair of channel locks (Adjustable pliers) or vice grips and yard it out of there. just don't damage the crank.

The reason I say replace it is because I had the keyways (balancer and timing sprocket) round out on me and ruin the crank shaft in my original engine. Which I believe may have been caused by the key's failing.

I already purchased a new keyway for the timing gear and harmonic balancer - I was going to replace them on general principles. Thanks for the suggestion of the channel-locks, though - I was thinking about some sort of chisel...

Edited by GhostPath

Try a small tapered punch instead of a chisel. The small pointed end can get under the exposed part of the key and you should be able to pop it out. If you miss with a chisel, you are in danger of scoring the crank. After you get it out, run a small scratch awl or pick in the keyway corners to clean the rust out. It will help the new key seat properly. Good luck.

Be careful, I had to repair my crankshaft from some knothead who actually took a chunk out of the keyway. We actually welded the key into the keyway and machined it so the timing gear would fit. It's not the right way to do it, but I wasn't about to spend a bunch of money on a $300 truck