Power Door Lock Actuator Or Something Else?

Hi everyone,

I have a ongoing issue with my driver side doors. When I press the keyfob(be it once or twice) to unlock the door(s) the door lock doesn't really open. I'm sometimes able to press the button several times to open the door and sometimes I need to insert the key and open the lock manually. I changed the battery in the remote so I'm not sure what else there is to do. I went to the dealer and they think its the actuator for the lock but before I pull the trigger on the purchase and replacement I want to get some input.

Is it the actuator or is it something else?

Did anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks in advance

'03 Pathfinder LE

I tried both remotes ....and still the same issue.

Another hint that I forgot to mention is that when it is warm outside I'm sometimes able to have the locks open with one push of the button while on colder days or winter days the remote operations won't work at all.

Thanks.

You do realize that the power locks operate from OTHER THAN the key fob, right?

First, test the operation of the power lock actuators by operating the door locks with the lock/unlock button on the door.

If the locks don't operate properly, then the lock actuator in the door is bad, or the lock mechanism needs lubrication. You may need to remove the door panel to lubricate the mechanism.

If the locks DO operate correctly, then proceed to the next test, which is whether the keyfob does what it's supposed to.

Sit in driver's seat. Lock doors using lock button on the door.

Press keyfob "unlock" button once. Driver's door should unlock.

Press keyfob "lock" button once to relock driver's door.

Press keyfob "unlock" button once. Wait 1 second. Press the button a second time. All doors should unlock.

Note: if you press the button twice too rapidly, sometimes the system can't tell the two pulses apart.

If all doors do not unlock with second press, then something is wrong with the alarm/remote lock control unit.

Edited by XPLORx4

Hi,

I was thinking that it could be that something isn't lubricated but when I went to Nissan they told me that its like a "sealed" system and there aren't any parts to lubricate. With that in mind....I'm weary of what to expect when I take the trim off the door....is it easy access to the parts? will I have to peel any kind of plastic shedding on the inside? If its doable then I'm opting to try lubricating some parts.

About the lock working separately from the remote....when I use the unlock/lock button on the door the little button that shows whether or not the door is unlocked or locked next to the handle doesn't go to the open position all the way. Meaning that it opens the door but it still needs a manual push to push the button further. So would it be safe to say that the actuator is shot?

Thanks.

My door locks will have a hard time moving sometimes and make a really fast clicking noise. I can put on a different handle and the noise goes away. I would get some silicone lubricant and lube the plastic around the hinges in the handle itself and see if you have a similar problem.

Hi again,

Since it is now a bit warmer in Chicago (high 70s & 80s) the door seem to open with one push of the button without a problem. But then yet it sometimes doesn't. So it really is a crap shoot whether or not it will open or not. If the actuator would be bad would the door locks ever open fully? I'm willing to fork over the $110 for the part but I want to be sure that it is really broken. Lastly, when I take the door panel off the door what should I expect - is it easy to gain access to the parts inside the door?

Thanks