Ahhh! Help A Dummy Out!

PDCCD

Hey All!!

Ok, to summarize, i got a screaming deal on a new LSD carrier for my 2002 SE with 4:3 gearing. DEan helped a ton on deciding to buy it. BUt on a whim, i went down to the truck to look for a sticker on the pumpkin. I know the wheels spin in opposite directions when lifted, so i figured i didn't have lsd. I found the threads with the sticker suggestion, and see above. Guess what, it's got an old sticker where the lsd one should be!! I can't read it, but it's on the upper left and seems to be the same size as the one Slick posted a picture of somewhere. WTF????? So I jack it up again, and yep, they both spin opposite. It's only got 85000 on it. What's going on?? Help...please

"Both spin opposite" means right side spins forward, left side spins backward, and vice-versa, right?

Either those sticker remnants aren't from the "Use LSD Oil Only" sticker and you really have an open diff, or the LSD unit in there is worn out, or the oil in the diff isn't LSD oil and does not contain the proper friction modifiers for it to operate properly. Unfortunately, without opening the diff and removing the third member, it'll be pretty hard to tell what you've really got.

"Both spin opposite" means right side spins forward, left side spins backward, and vice-versa, right?

Either those sticker remnants aren't from the "Use LSD Oil Only" sticker and you really have an open diff, or the LSD unit in there is worn out, or the oil in the diff isn't LSD oil and does not contain the proper friction modifiers for it to operate properly. Unfortunately, without opening the diff and removing the third member, it'll be pretty hard to tell what you've really got.

yep!

no vin codes or axle code info? I found the metal tag for that in the engine bay. damn.

Well, trying to stay positive, At least it's a curious puzzle and I already have the part on the way if it is broken lol...

Edited by PDCCD

yep!

no vin codes or axle code info? I found the metal tag for that in the engine bay. damn.

Well, trying to stay positive, At least it's a curious puzzle and I already have the part on the way if it is broken lol...

If you can find the Vin# the dealer can tell if that vehicle came with LSD or open.

If you can find the Vin# the dealer can tell if that vehicle came with LSD or open.

Thanks fellas. Called the dealer, but no good, they claimed they'de have to look at in when i brought it in for service. I found another pathfinder in the parking lot at work, se and all. It too had a sticker where the lsd should be, but this one was legible, and it apeared to be just some sort of part label from the factory, but not orange. Hope this may help someone else in the future. It seems that both LSD and non LSD have a little sticker, both in the same place, same size.

I, too, have some worn out sticker on the back of the pumpkin, but it's not orange. I have the open rear end.

I called my local dealer and asked to check my VIN to see if I had the LSD, and the parts guy said he couldn't do it that way. I said thanks, hung up, and called the next furthest dealer. That parts guy said "sure!" and then ran the VIN and told me all about my truck including the fact it did not have the LSD. I did jack the rear up and spun the wheels just to make sure.

Now I know where to get my parts. Some dealers just don't get it. :ar15:

Some dealerships are more willing to help customers than others. It's the dealerships that are willing to answer my questions, and take the time of day to help me out if I have issues that I buy parts from. Luckily, in my case, those are the same dealerships that give me my parts at cost...LOL.