Running with broken exhaust stds

lgranch

Ok, I have the classic problem of broken exhaust studs. I'll have to fix it before emissions testing, but how long can I run it without doing damage to anything. Anyone with experience??

It has been real loud now for about 2 weeks.

I ran mine for nearly a year before fixing it. I doubt it'll hurt anything as long as you aren't sucking fumes into your cab (which is the main reason the inspection stations will fail you if it exists. essentially a leaking exhaust)

My Pathy (well, its the woman's... but i drive it more then she does) ... has had a PS Rear Lower Exhaust stud broken for over 3 years... no problems yet... and its only truly "noisy" when its cold-soaked... (lower then 10degrees over night) and then its just loud enough u can hear it over the blower-motor ;) ... im just not ambitious enough to tackle it... god knows ive done enough ford 460's and GMC 366's with broken exhaust studs, to know I DONT WANT 2 GET INVOLVED!

By the way, mine started the noise on the passenger side almost immediately after I bought it. Maybe a few weeks. By the time I got around to it, the driver's side was toast too. -alcohol- I didn't want to touch it at that point, but the shop got me for almost $1000! :furious: It would of course be a good idea to get it fixed now, as it might end up cheaper and easier in the long run. But like all have said, it probably won't hurt anything engine-wise.

I am capable of fixing just about anything. I even tackle auto trannys. The problem I have with taking on this job is time. Most of you guys on this forum are on the younger side and I remember when I had that amount of time to do the things I wanted to do, not what I had to do.

So does anyone have pictures of what I am going to see when I start this job?? 88's thread on timing belts convinced me that it was an easy job and it was.

BTW. 88 your thread says that it is not a DIY job to replace the door hinges. Someday I'll take the pics as I am doing it- it is not tough at all - I use to hang doors in the body shop all the time. :asleep: