Just Bought A 98 Pathfinder, Tranny Flush?

SnakeS

Hey everybody, I'm the proud new owner of a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE. It's my first 4x4 too so i'm looking forward to that. My question is that it has low miles for it's year thats because I purchased it from an older gentleman who didn't drive it much but took excellent care of it. I'm not sure about it's service history but everything works and it runs smoothly.

I just had a few questions about some preventative maintence that might need to be done incase it hasn't been service. I've heard about the timing belt but it hasnt reached the mileage yet but the age would that affect the belt? Second the tranny fluid i dont know if it has ever been changed. I was thinking about taking it to the nearby nissan dealership and having them do a flush and fill? Does the filter need to be replaced too at this time.

Any other maintence ideas would be appreicated. Oh the truck had 43,000 km on it.

Thanks!

I'm retarded w/ the mertic system and don't feel like doing the conversion, but I know that 43,000 Km's isn't a lot at all, so on that note I wouldn't. But if it's original, even with low miles, that fluid's 9 years old. Therefore, I don't think it would hurt at all to have it flushed. It's good habit anyways when buying used, unless you KNOW it's been done recently.

I would be thinking more about the t-belt. 9 years is a long time to still have the original on.

Yeah it's about 27,000 miles. I'm thinking more about the age because it probably does the same thing as miles just no wear on the components. I read that if you have the dealer do the belt it gets pretty expensive so i would do it myself but should i get the belt from the dealer? With the tranny flush and fill what fluid and filter should they be putting in just so i can ask to make sure. I also heard about tranny coolers does this apply to my pathfinder.

Thanks again and for the fast reply!

Damn young rig you scored...way to go !!! Welcome ! Change the fluid--its easy and add that tranny cooler now so less headaches later!

--------------------------GREAT AVATAR !---------------------------------

Edited by 98silverpathy

I would just change out all the fluids since they are all 9 years old. That way you have a base mark to go from for future service. It isn't all that expensive to do and better safe than sorry. Nice score on a great rig.

ok cool, thanks for your positive comments! Yeah i really like it, i'll post some pictures of it when i take delivery on wenesday. Oh another thing when the dealer took it through the car wash the power attenae broke off. He wasn't clear if it would be fixed or not so i was wondering how hard it is to do and the availablity of the parts and price. Thanks

Oh another thing when the dealer took it through the car wash the power attenae broke off. He wasn't clear if it would be fixed or not so i was wondering how hard it is to do and the availablity of the parts and price. Thanks

You can replace the antenna mast with the gear/cable for about $31.95 US.

I believe the part number is 28215 9B000, but don't quote me on that.

sounds resonable, i guess this thread should be in the garage oops! I was reading through the manual onlince and in the service section is says that at 48,000 km the spark plugs should be changed. Any specific brands that you guys like or that work well with this engine thanks.

NGK all the way.

Part # BKR5ES-11 (stock #2382 ). This is the OEM replacement number. You can upgrade to the V-Power as well #BKR5E-11 (stock #6953).

Edited by bryfry

I'm retarded w/ the mertic system

You dont say?? How are you with metric? :P

SnakeS, as everyone said, not a bad idea to put some money into it now, and it will last you for years... Did you buy it from the dealership? Maybe they can pull the service history on it?

yeah i would like to do all that so i don't have to worry about it, plus i want to take in on some trips this year so it would be a good idea. It was the whole reason on getting it. That and the 4wd. I bought it from the dealership but i'm pretty sure they can't do that, they don't even own a computer (it's a rural community) but i'm sure its been serviced regularily. If not nows a great time to start.