Keep It?

bartmk

I need your guys' advice on this. So, I've got my '97 Pathy SE with 118,000mi on it now. I just put an intake in it and a fresh timing belt but she'll need new tires and maybe front brakes in the next few months. I'm about to purchase a 15' enclosed trailer to haul a couple quads with for weekend trips. I'll be making my weekend trips down to the Oregon dunes from Washington (long drive). My Pathfinder doesn't have a tow package or a tranny cooler. Is it even going to be worth my money to invest in tires, tranny cooler, tow package and possibly brakes for the Pathfinder or should I consider getting a vehicle a little more tow-worthy?

What is the GVW of this trailer loaded with all your gear? You are going to need electric brakes on the trailer for anything over 1000# I believe.

I am in the middle of getting ready to tow my 21' boat for the season, 5000# loaded. So far, I have only taken trips around town, but everything seems fine once I wired the electric brake control in the Path.

Are you sure it doesn't have a tranny cooler? My 97 LE has one. It's in front of the AC condenser in the lower left corner, as you're standing in front of truck.

Brakes: ~ $200

Tranny cooler: ~ $100 (if not equipped)

Tires: $800

Trailer Hitch and Wiring: $200

Total: $1300

Do you have the title to the vehicle now? What would you be replacing it with? How much will the replacement vehicle cost? It sounds like you're wanting to trade it in anyway. Are you just looking for an excuse? :)

I need your guys' advice on this. So, I've got my '97 Pathy SE with 118,000mi on it now. I just put an intake in it and a fresh timing belt but she'll need new tires and maybe front brakes in the next few months. I'm about to purchase a 15' enclosed trailer to haul a couple quads with for weekend trips. I'll be making my weekend trips down to the Oregon dunes from Washington (long drive). My Pathfinder doesn't have a tow package or a tranny cooler. Is it even going to be worth my money to invest in tires, tranny cooler, tow package and possibly brakes for the Pathfinder or should I consider getting a vehicle a little more tow-worthy?

It was pretty easy to wire up the towing harness myself. Wouldn't cost much to have somebody else do it, maybe $15-30 anyway. I bought a drawtite hitch that looked good on my R50, I recently sold it used for like $70 as I now have an integrated receiver in my aftermarket bumper. I also added a B&M tranny cooler, the unit itself cost like $45 I think? Add a little more ATF of course. These are relatively simple things. I have towed 12' enclosed trailers a bunch of times, just got ones with their own brakes. The Pathfinder does quite well but the biggest question is weight limits...

Are you sure it doesn't have a tranny cooler? My 97 LE has one. It's in front of the AC condenser in the lower left corner, as you're standing in front of truck.

Brakes: ~ $200

Tranny cooler: ~ $100 (if not equipped)

Tires: $800

Trailer Hitch and Wiring: $200

Total: $1300

Do you have the title to the vehicle now? What would you be replacing it with? How much will the replacement vehicle cost? It sounds like you're wanting to trade it in anyway. Are you just looking for an excuse? :)

You know, I was wondering about the tranny cooler myself. Damn, this is going to sound stupid so prepare yourself. The smaller radiator to the bottom left of my "main radiator" looks like a tranny cooler to me but when you follow the hoses leaving from it they go to the "main radiator" again. Does that even make sense? Where would the tranny cooler hoses enter the transmission? And yes, I have the title. If I were to replace it I'd want a 1/2 ton truck probably. A Tundra or Z71 maybe.

So, after downloading the service manual and doing some research it turns out that my Pathy does in fact have a A/T oil cooler, granted it is the factory one. All the talk of A/T coolers on this forum just made me assume that I didn't have one to start with. Why would the little owner's manual include towing ratings for both 1997 Pathy's with and without A/T oil coolers? Was that just an option?

So, after downloading the service manual and doing some research it turns out that my Pathy does in fact have a A/T oil cooler, granted it is the factory one. All the talk of A/T coolers on this forum just made me assume that I didn't have one to start with. Why would the little owner's manual include towing ratings for both 1997 Pathy's with and without A/T oil coolers? Was that just an option?

Mine came with a stock tranny cooler, too. I just added the additional one in series as many others have done.