Tire Pressure Fun

CRASS PUNK

ok heres the deal i went in to get me oil changed no big deal they crack the cases check everything and change the air pressure in my tires i pay they tell me everything looks good. i get in and for some reason it feels lower. didnt think about it. get on the freeway and tire are hella loud i get home check the pressure its at 28 in all 4

kinda mad thinking this was just some moron that messed up i got back

they look it up in there lil computer and it says 28psi

kinda confused i asked them to air it back where they were. they did

anyone else ever had this done

i looked on the door and sure nuff it said 28 for the 31 in. tire

i would think if i had ran on 28psi i wouldnt have any tread left in 3 months

why is the oem standard so low anyone know?

on my 31" michelins it says max of 45psi...... i run them at 34-38 depending if i am towing the boat or retrieving trailers for work..... off road.... 22-28

my 33" STT's are max rated @ 35psi..... i run those about 32. off road about 18-22 depending on conditions

Edited by Slick

I seem to remember hearing you should go off the posted pressure on the inside of the door jamb, rather than the poster pressure on the sidewall of the tire.

You should also remember the tires will gain some pressure as they get warm.

I seem to remember hearing you should go off the posted pressure on the inside of the door jamb, rather than the poster pressure on the sidewall of the tire.
That info is meant to be used for vehicles with stock tire size and the brand that came on it originally. Once you change the factors you supposed to go with the tire manufacturer's suggestions. I fill my 32" BFG A/T's to about 35, although right now they're at 40 for better mileage since I just drove down to Key West and back for a wedding. 17mpg baby!

BTW, the tires on monster trucks are at about 10psi. Go figure.

The psi on the door is for stock pathys under "normal" or should i say suburban driving. Like it has been stated many factors change the ideal amount of pressure you should run. How old are your tires and have you run the same pressure in them the whole time. If so I would look at the wear on them. If they are worn more in the middle than the out sides i would lower the pressure. If they are wearing more on the outsides i would raise it.