(refuses To)swing Arm

The stock swing arm on my '89 has gone from resistant to open and close to damn near impossible. I have WD-40'd it, loosened all the mounting bolts (in case it was somehow tweaked) and nothing helps. I was ready to tear the thing off and just do a safari cage with the tire on top, but I have heard I could have leaking problems with my moonroof. I have seen some really cool aftermarket swing arms for the xterra with the third brake light but nothing for the pathies.

The swing arm is in good shape and has not been involved in any scrapes before.

Has anyone else had this problem?

HPIM1773.jpg

Edited by ACLoki1989

WD-40 is actually a water displacer, not really all that good for loosening stuff up. Since its progressively gotten worse, it doesn't sound like its busted or anything. Id try a good rust buster like PB Blaster on it for a few days then maybe some 3 in 1 oil.

I agree with JJ. The best thing to try is some really good penetrating oil and every day add more and open and close it a few times. They are pretty comon to seize up. Mine was to the point were I was moving the truck when I had to open it and with a bit of persistance it got to work OK....not perfect but at least i didn't have to dig my heels in the ground to open it.

Theres definately some shaking of the truck when opening and closing. I almost feel like i am trying to tackle someone when I am closing it just to make sure it latches all the way. I wil try the blaster and oil tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's another one I am not sure if I am unique with...closing the rear glass.

On mine, I have to set it shut, then do something similar to a chest compression over the catch to latch it. Everyone else tries slamming it shut, which of course never works, but makes a very loud scary noise. So annoying.

Theres definately some shaking of the truck when opening and closing. I almost feel like i am trying to tackle someone when I am closing it just to make sure it latches all the way. I wil try the blaster and oil tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's another one I am not sure if I am unique with...closing the rear glass.

On mine, I have to set it shut, then do something similar to a chest compression over the catch to latch it. Everyone else tries slamming it shut, which of course never works, but makes a very loud scary noise. So annoying.

Yeah, if you can't free it up then you might want to look into replacing the hinge pins and bushings. Try to lube it up first though, if it is tight then the pins/bushings are probably good.

For the rear glass try adjusting the latch out a little bit.

lube the pivots. I remember when the carrier was getting hard to swing on my old pathy, I lubed up the pivot points and cleaned out any gunk. That did the trick and made it alot easier to operate.

Is it hard to adjust the rear latch? I never knew you could do that.

Open the glass and look at the latch on the door(not the catch on the glass), you'll see 2 screws going through the plastic cover, remove those and pull the cover off. Now you should see the latch is held in place with 2 screws. Those screws are in slotted holes, loosen them and you can move the latch in or out a little.

Edited by GrimGreg