Welding on frame

fondo

Hey all, I was going to weld compression/strut rod bushing cup back on on my passenger side and was wondering if I might fry the computer when doing this. Should I disconnect my battery or unplug the computer. Has anybody welded to their frame and fried something.

Thanks

Guest SuperSon

I have not welded on a car frame either but if i was to do it I would take the ecu out completely not just disconnect the battery.You could never be to careful you know :D It takes but a few mins

You don't need to disconnect anything. It's alot harder to listen to the radio while the battery is disconnected. :P

I've welded on mine more times than I care to remember, not to mention all the other vehicles I've welded on. I've never disconnected the battery or anything else, and never had any problems. Just hook up your ground as close to the part you're welding on. ;)

It's one of those things. 99 times out of 100, you will get away with it. But every now and then, you can induce a voltage spike that will pop something. Usually something expensive.

Disconnecting the battery and unplugging the connectors to the ECU or other critical components drop the risk even further.

Your time, your money, your call!

I left all connected when welding the cups and got away with it. But I also keep a spare ECU laying around so if I fried it, I wouldn't have cared.

I agree. If all is 100% and your grounds are all good, nothing touching your vehicle to ground it to anything, you'll probably be safe.

But all it takes is a bad ground on your welder and something grounding further down the line that's hooked up to your computer and that voltage will find the shortest distance back to ground.

You're investment, your call.

Denis