Warn Manual Hub Installation

statikuz

Alrighty, I removed the hex-head bolts that hold the stock auto hub on and it slid off in one nice piece, as you can see by the pictures. Am I now ready to just slide the body assembly of the new Warn hub on and bolt it down? The instructions say something about removing the cap of the auto hub and retaining some parts, but they don't say anything about them again later. The only pieces that I can remove from the stock auto hub are a sort of ring, and a small spring that holds it in... presumably for the auto-locking feature. Anyways, check out the pictures and let me know if I can just slide the new hub on and go from there. Thanks... I'm out in the garage RIGHT NOW. :D

On my 97, I did not retain anything from the original drive flange. I just slid the snap ring back on and then put the manual hub on. However, I'm not sure if the front hubs from your year are different enough to require different installation. Hope this helps B)

Yeah, I think they are, the Warn instructions have a diagram for a "drive flange" hub, but I think the '93-era are different than the next generation of Pathy. =( Anyone else? 88? =)

Yep, bolt that puppy on and give the wheel a spin to test it out. Mine has a different hub setup than yours does...the 87-89's and the 90-95's are different, then the 96-ups all have drive flanges. I've pulled hubs off a junkyard '93 Pathy before and that's all there is to it, just bolt it back on and you're set to roll.

Alrighty, I tried that but the new hub doesn't go far enough onto the drive shaft. So I took off everything I could, all the way down until the lock washer and 'wheel bearing lock nut' were the only two things left on the drive shaft. Then it fit right. This is the way to do it right? With all those parts gone, it looks like the picture attached, and jives with what my Chilton manual says about the stock auto and manual hubs. Everything that comprises the auto hub assembly should be removed down to what the picture looks like, then install the new hub?

post-9-1084935601.jpg

i did mine like 8 years ago, but if i remember right, 88 is correct about the clutch pack,, get that out, and if memory serves me right, a circlip or snap ring (depends on your nationality) should hold the guts onto the drive shaft that is what the little recess is at the end of your axle..

Yep, there is a snap ring that holds on some of the pieces. I have a writeup [in progress] on how to install them for the mechanically dense people like me. =) The order goes, from outside in:

bolts, hub body/sub-assembly, o-ring, spring, brake A, snap ring, washer B [with teeth], washer A, brake B, lock washer, wheel bearing lock nut, and drive shaft.

You have to take off the snapring to take off the remaining three parts of the auto hub.