Timing Belt change

kcmendy

95 Xe I am changing the timing belt and I have a problem. I have both cam shaft timing marks lined up, I have the crank shaft timing mark lined up, I have the distibutor roter lined up. I have confirmed TDC with a dowel in the #1 cylinder.

NOW, here's my problem, the lines on the timing belt are off, LH cam two teeth left, RH cam five teeth off. I am hoping that whoever changed the belt the last time just didn't line up the belt lines, but I don't want to go any further until I get your advise.

Just checked the lines on the old belt (still on the sprockets), and the new belt,

the belts was put on wrong, but it has cost me over an hour of worry to figue this out.

thanks, kcmendy

Edited by kcmendy

i usually dont use the lines on the belts when i put it on...i just count teeth to make sure bc i dont trust a QA team to catch a mismarked belt...if they would have gotten the teeth that far off it wouldnt run

once you put the belt on and then spin the motor the teeth and marks will only line up every once in a while.. like dozens of revolutions.