SES light - P0450 - EVAP pressure sensor fault

FUELER

Loose gas cap should give the P0440 Small EVAP Leak error. For the P0450 the causes are either the harness or connectors for the pressure sensor, the EVAP pressure sensor is bad, or the vent control valve is stuck open. Those vent control valves commonly go bad so you might try testing that first.

lewis is right about the Vent control vavle. I threw a P0440 along with another code I can't remember which one but it was defined as "Vent control valve stuck open" or something along the lines of it. If you did a search for p0440 on this board or the AC you'll see my posts about it.

I ended up taking the vent control valve off from the charcoal box and tested it by adding a positive current to see if it actually is moving. If you look straight into the sensor down a narrow tube you'll see it. My was rusted open. I believe too many water crossings and similar type behavior was the culprit. I sprayed some WD40 on it and tested it again and saw the valve opening and closing.

That was over a year ago and I have yet to see the SES light come on since.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since I reset it, and no light since, should I wait until it shows up again before doing any work??

Edited by FUELER