Manifold and Headers

wheel366

I'm new to this whole Pathfinder thing. I just bought it last June and have been without it for the last six months. I have to do a lot of work since the person who had it before me didn't keep up with the maintanance.

I'm getting my Borla exhaust installed tomorrow and I'm having the famous manifold problem. My question is, can I install headers after the exhaust is installed and if I can, how much modification is needed and how hard will it be?

I'm just trying to get it back in shape. I had to replace rocker arms, lifters, various gaskets, etc. I had so much carbon build-up that I had no oil pressure. I also had blown out hubs that I had to replace. I guess not everybody takes care of their cars like we do.

I also have changed the plugs, wires, air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter and flushed the cooling system. Any thing else I should be doing?

Wheel

I just installed Thorley headers and I think they are great. The install took around five hours so be ready for some head scratching. Also I personally think that the Y pipe hangs too low, a modification is definately in order.

I also got the Borla exhaust and am getting ready to install that this week. Before I get that done I am going to get the cat and the pipes between the headers and the Borla replaced with a 2.5" unit and pipes. The place that is replacing the cat and the pipes said they will be able to get rid of one cat so that should free up some horsepower.

I think the Thorleys are a great way to go although they are pricy at $500+ and the Borlas at $350+ and the new cat and pipes are $275, so expect to pay some cash.

Also no I have to get the transfer case rebuilt, I just had Nissan take a look at it and they said it needs a rebuild in a bad way. Im thinking of going with the CALMINI reduction gears in the T-case since Ill be in there.

Anyway thought I would share a little info, I have pics of the headers if your interested and Ill have some of the entire exhaust when its done.

PATHFINDER95NI,

Thanks for the info. Definately send over the pics once you have them.

Can I get the headers installed after the exhaust? My friends father started it last night and should be done tonight. If I can have the headers done after, then I might go that route, however if I can't them I'll just get new exhuast manifolds.

This is starting to become an expensive investment, especially since I have an 2001 S4 to pay for.

Ill send the exhaust pics when everything is done.

I would say thats fine to install the headers a little while down the road, couldnt hurt any. Definately thing about getting the cat replaced also, thats the bottle neck there.

Nick

Congrats man, I know what you went through!

I just went through that broken stud = exhaust leak problem myself. Took me about 6 hours to drill out the old studs, put in new ones, and bolt her back up.

I had to change my cat, oxy sensor, and about 1/2 the pipe underneath - it was all rotten. $450 Can. got all that crap done however it's all welded in now, so that exhaust isn't coming apart again B)

Yeah I appreicate it man, the Chevelle was one sweet machine. I had it tricked out with Edelbrock shocks, Hotchkis TVS (1.5" swaybar front, 1.25" rear, boxed trailing arms) new Eaton springs, Richmond 3.73:1, Eaton posi, etc. Unfortunately on January 8th some theifs thought they would rather see the car sitting in their carport rather than mine. It was sitting for three months, being winter and all, so I think they staked it out and found the perfect night to take it on.

Its ok though it helped me buy a house, so some day Ill spring for another one. Plus I have a 1971 Caprice 2dr HT w/396 BBC in that was owned by a little old lady untill I bought last fall. Another project.

That is one sweet Laguna. Man that looks tough in black, with those A-Team style wheels. Nice car!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WhiteNismoPathfinder95

About the whole leak/stud thing....just had another replaced by the Nissan shop (my family owns) and we almost had to take off the head....just a precaution so you dont end up f***ing somthin up, yah know?!

Christmas Valley Oregon-Shifting Sands Dunes....definitly worth the drive!

(find a Lake County map)