E-fan Question

barthel

id say try finding it online. thats what i ended up doing. its cheap, it just sucks to deal with shipping.

even though i highly doubt that you need a 75 amp relay, only because every car parts place i talked to said the Taurus apparently did not use a 75 amp, otherwise they would carry it. soooo...that being said, i guess its just overkill, which in electrical wireing is a good thing :)

I will find it...

Rumor has it the 3.8L fan on HIGH speed draws about 40 amps continuous with a 100+ amp surge at start up.

So you should be able to get by on a 40-50 amp relay for quite a while if you include the freewheeling diode across the fan. The risk of running a bit too small is that each time the relay breaks, it arcs. And each arc blows a tiny bit of contact material away. The higher the current draw, the bigger the arc and the more material removed. Running 40 amps through a 40 amp relay means it will likely not exceed its rated life.

A 75 amp relay has MUCH larger contacts than a 40 amp. Running 40 amps through a 75 amp relay means it will likely last much longer than its rated life.

So you could theoretically use a relay like this and get by just fine:

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAW...F25F002+M37+ENG

But I would keep a spare in the glove box. At this price, you can afford to!

I would hope that would be the case.

I was just looking for the parts that were listed on the Mustang write up that everyone keeps pointing to. If someone has different way to do it, I'm all ears.

MW, your link was dead.

Sorry! Just go to Waytech's page and look up their PN 75002.

That will be a 50 amp Bosch with tab mount. 75001 for no tab.

Still looking for the Bosch 75A - I thought I bought from Waytech but not finding it now. Waytech is my "go to" source for a lot of products. Great prices if you buy in bulk!

I also oughta mention the Flex-a-lite 33054.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...+0&autoview=sku

This is THE top shelf unit. Variable speed, with 40-45 amp capacity. I haven't tried that particular unit, but am using the 31165 for controlling the low speed on my Taurus fan (purchased before I found out about the 33054). That unit is only rated for 30 amps so can be used for low speed but NOT the high speed. This works out nice as the throttled down low speed is VERY quiet and pulls minimal current. But it was quite a challenge to wire this in along with the manually activated high speed.

26 freakin bucks....id just keep spares (spare 40 amps) :)

There is validity in that thought!

I do recommend sticking to the Bosch 50 amp I mentioned earlier for this application. Some of the generic Chinese knock off relays look the same on the outside, but verrrry different on the inside. Really, really cheesy and wouldn't last long with any load, let alone 40 amps! A true example of getting what you pay for.

I also oughta mention the Flex-a-lite 33054.

So if i did something like the flex-a-lite, would that mean I wouldn't need to use an additional relay? (relay on the controller, relay for high speed)

Would I still be able to wire it direct to the A/C?

So if i did something like the flex-a-lite, would that mean I wouldn't need to use an additional relay? (relay on the controller, relay for high speed)

Would I still be able to wire it direct to the A/C?

Correct. The Flex-a-lite controller has a "switch" on board.

I believe it uses a FET so it should be very long lived - MUCH longer than a relay - should be for a lifetime.

On the down side, if it did blow, changing just the FET would not be easy for average person (would require disassemblyand re-soldering) so they would need to replace entire controller. Have never heard of it happening, but FETs can fail.

Also, the controller is designed for a single speed fan so you would only be using one of the fan inputs. The smart person would set it up where you could easily plug either the low or the high into the controller. The low would be fine 99% of the time. And if you're going to be crawling in the middle of summer, then plug in the high. :cool2:

The controller comes with very detailed instructions, and has an input for the A/C fan so the fan comes on whenever the A/C is on. Very slick.

It also has optional inputs to have a remote switch controlled ON (in case you want to turn it on whenever you want) or a remote switch controlled OFF (to assure it stays off during water crossings).

It is a pretty well thought out little device.

Is there a donor car that we can pull a 75A relay from or maybe a 50A? :shrug:

I guarantee there is.

What it is and what vehicle to pull from in a JY? :shrug:

I spent an hour going through the NAPA catalog. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of factory relays with all kinds of switching options, current ratings, and pin shapes and configurations. The catalog listed rating and PN, but not where they were used. And the factory relays have PN markings, but not ratings. So it was not easy to ID a donor. And buying new was a bit spendy. You could write down PN of all known 50+ amp relays and then wander JY checking all vehicles until you find one of the PN's on the list and snag it. Make sure you snag the harness that it plugs into as well as it will almost certainly be custom as well.

Guest SuperSon

If you could post PN Martin ill head to the JY friday and do some searching. While im there let me know if you need anything that I might be able to look for :beer:

Maybe ill start searching with the 3.8 taurus since the donor fan came from that vehicle

Unfortunately, I threw my list away....

Snagging the Taurus relay would be a great idea. If you can find it! Maybe, just maybe, there will be one with some kind of cover that lists what all the relays are... But you may be stuck fabricating your own mating connector. Let us know what you find!