Time to $$$$$$$

ankana

On my way back from Sacramento, my Pathfinder died suddenly in the middle of the Great Salt Lake Desert. I figured it was related to a repair I broadcasted in this forum where I recut a keyway in my crank. No, the crank looks just as I had last seen it. My left camshaft broke. Not sure how this happens, but I'm going to use this opportunity to drop a VG33E into her amoung other modifications. Anyone else done this upgrade? Would love to hear any war stories of tips.

well, depending which way yer lookin att he motor red, same one may have broke lol  :P  but yes, it is unusual for the other side to break....

Ahh but there is a true Right and Left side P...

Otherwise the terms "Right Hand Drive" and "Left hand Drive" would have no meaning :P

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys, it was the RIGHT side (Passenger) that broke. I am surprised that this is not a rare occurance. The place that mine broke made absolutly no sense. it gave way about an inch past the oil seal behind the timing belt pulley. There should be no torque there and the geometry of the shaft is straight and smooth (no stress risers) I can only surmise that there was a flaw in the metal that just degraded over time. So, I pulled the head to replace the camshaft. I had it cleaned and measured the journals and they were out of specifications. I bought a doner Pathfinder the same year as mine for next to nothing thinking that I could pull the head off and use it to replace mine. But when I started pulling things apart things quickly got ugly. The first indication was a loose timing belt... You all know the rest of the story... Luckily I was able to transfer enough parts to more than recoupe the money spent so I didn't have to beat myself up for being a dumb ass and not checking the thing out before I bought it. I am still planning on the vg30e to vg33e engine swap but I bought a head from a salvage yard to get my silver one running and then I'm going to do the engine swap when I can find a turbo 33 for it and put the 30 into the red one I just bought and sell it to help recover the cost of the new engine. Hell I might even get a chassis lift out of this. I was going to part the red one out and may still if I can generate enough interest in selling parts off of it. Anyone need parts out there? Oh yea, how many of you have had their camshafts break? What a bizzare thing to have happen!

ouch, my engine blew up on I-80 lol. where in utah are you located?

Been a while since I checked this board ...Nice to know another Yewtaah'n posts to this. I'm in North Ogden, Where are you?