Timing Belt Issue

barthel

Ok, I have a small issue.

I have the front of the engine apart to do the timing belt (among other things). The two issues I need help with are.....

Timing mark on crank pulley. there are 7 marks, but they're just lines notched into the pulley, there's no reference to degrees or anything. So, which one is TDC? By using the sight/screwdriver method I believe it's the one to the far left (if you're looking at it), am I correct?

Next, there's no marks on the belt, but there's the marks on the cam pulleys. When I se the engine at what think is #1 TDC, the marks on the timing pulleys don't line up with the dimples behind them on the inside cover. I've jockeyed the engine back and forth and it looks like they never quite line up. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

I hope you read the timing belt write up in the How-To section.

Yes, TDC is the very left mark on the crank pulley. The dimples dont line exactly up perfect, actually off about a 1/2 tooth. Thats why its noted to mark the side of your new belt to help line everything up.

The Dimples will be close but not exact.

Do you have a new belt? does it have the timing marks on it?

Clean off the Crank Sprocket outter face. has to be a distinctive/different mark there some where. There may not be a mark on the oil pump housing.

Yes, the new belt has marks on it. I don't know if the old one did and they just wore off, or what.

I don't have the crank pulley off yet, so I'm not sure about the martks down there, although I know what to look for. I just wasn't sure about the dimples or the timing mark on the crank pulley, and obviously didn't want to move forward before I figured it out or got some help.

it is easier than you think. there are 40 teeth on the timing belt between the 2 cam gears and there are 43 between the left hand cam and the crank. there should be 43 between the two white marks on your new belt. the cam gear should be marked LH.