Window regulator? Or Motor?

Howdy, trying to identify the most likely part that failed.

When trying to roll power drivers window up or down, it seizes movement and makes a grinding/whirring sound. This happens at the same spots...3 of them. It seems as though perhaps a gear is missing teeth in certain spots or something along those lines.

I am going to purchase the replacement part but after looking at it and seeing a cable pulley type of assembly, I was unfamiliar with how best to proceed without replacing everything.

So...I come to ask the gods of the Finders of Paths for guidance....

:bow: :bow: :bow:

My guess is if you're still hearing the motor run, the regulator is the issue. Take the interior panel off, and see if you can tell what's happening.

I did look at it and couldn't determine anything meaningful.

I guess another way to put it would be: Does the motor connect to the regulator via Teeth or gear that could possibly be the problem? Meaning that it's the motor itself, or at least that gear would need repair/replacement. Or does the regulator have some sort of internal sprocket that could be the same issue? :blink:

The motor attaches to the regulator by a square "gear". The regulator cable winds around the reguator side. My bet is the cable is chewed up from wear or the white plastic elbows at top or bottom of the regulator is broken.

• 6 years later...

Guess I am going to bump this thread because I am having (seemingly) the same problem with my rear drivers side window. When I roll it up or down it gets stuck in 2 spots and makes a grinding noise. I have pulled off the door panel and looked at the regulator a little bit and nothing seems to be blocking it... Seems that it is a problem with the connection from the motor to the regulator? If so which part is the culprit?

I would pull the regulator/motor assembly and than separate the motor from the regulator so you can check the shaft sticking out of the motor,if it looks OK than it is the regulator that is causing the problem.

What I do when I need to remove the regulator is, pull the door panel and the inner plastic liner, lower the window to where you can get to the 2 bolts that attach the regulator to the glass, remove the bolts, slide the window fully up and I use wooden wedges to hold the glass up by putting them between the glass and the inner weatherstripping, than unbolt the regulator and motor from the door, unplug the motor and remove the whole assembly.

Do not see the rear regulator listed on the rockauto site.

I could find no rear regulators anywhere on line, maybe Rob has a line on some regulator replacements. I picked up 2 at the local Pick & Pull, 15 bucks a piece. Sounds like the gear on the motor to me, I think the motors are interchangeable for all windows.