whoo hooo

milehighcowboy

ok sorry bout the long time since the update but i have finally gotten the tranny out. i have the pedals in and the lines ran. i still need to get the torque converter off the engine and then bolt up the clutch and flywheel. then the new tranny goes in. i also need to redo my exhaust though before i get the new tranny in because its completly shot to hell. thinking pacesetters (per sammyb33) and 2.5 inch pipeing. muffler i have not decided on yet, also thiking a dual exhaust (just cause i think its cool)

Then i removed the rear drive shaft. dropped it on my face. nice big fat lip now.

That sucks. My brother's friend was trying to help install a MT in his RX-7 a long time ago and made the mistake of tipping the trans down with his face under the tailshaft. He got a nice new stinky hairdo courtesy of the old gear oil inside...

From experience, the torque converter bolts are likely Loc-Tited on and it takes quite a bit of torque to get them out. The starter hole access doesn't help. An impact wrench would work great if you can get one in there. An air ratchet might do it too, if you can pump up the air pressure AND get a bit of arm power on the bolts. It'd be easiest with two people, one to prevent the crank of the engine from turning and one to hang over a fender with a 3/8" drive ratchet, a wobbly extension and a u-joint with a 2' stick of pipe (pick your poison on access) for extra torque...heh.

well i got em out and now am just stuck on the pilot bushing as per my other thread. also the plates that go between the tranny and the engine keep em or ditchem? sammy said he does not have his any more but i am not sure bout that one. (yes sam its working for you and yes i know you said its ok but i just want to not love up) my dad has been against me doing this from the get go and i am determined to prove him wrong and show i can do this big of a job. so i really dont need a plate to be what prooves him right.

oh and 88 yea that crap dont taste too damn good either :oops: (cooler lines drip even after they have been disconnected)

but as a progress i will letch ya'll know what i been doing.

to get the tranny down to the ground i tied a rope around her and then fed it through the hole in the floor, out the sunroof down to the hitch wrapped it once and tied it to my dads bumper ten feet away. then once i got the tranny free i slowly had him back the truck up till it was on the groud......well thats how it was supposed to work. all was good till a knot untied and it dropped landing bout six inches away from my head. but it was on the ground and out so we just drug it out from underneith with the rope and my dads chevy.

then i got his help to get the Torque converter off. flat head screw driver to hold teeth, and then socket extensions all teh way out the front above the front pumpkin. had em out in about 30 min. -argue-

then i went and borrowed my friends electric impact wrench :bow: brand new i was first to use it :dance: hahahah. bought a 1/2">3/8" socket and had the drive plate off in about 5 min flat. then pulling it free from the pilot bushing adaptor (new words cool beans lol) i smacked my self in the face with my hand bottom lip this time and my knuckle. :wacko:

next i proceeded to replace the rear main seal and the seal behind the thing that holds the seal. :shrug: bout five min there

then i went ahead and bolted on the flywheel and the clutch. but then i realised i had those two plates to put on so pulled all that back off. am now awaiting a definate response on the plates and if i should leave emm off or put em back on????

so then i went ahead and replaced the throw out bearing all of five min again sheesh. then realised i still had this little cylinder brass thingy in the box. figured out it was and is the pilot bushing. and am now awating on how to remove the pilot bushing adaptor plate???

i also cleaned up the inside of the bell housing with a piece of steel wool and some engine degreaser. its all puuurty now lol.

so plan of attack is now to figure out the pilot bushing delema, the plate delema, retrieve the two sensors from the back of the old transfercase (two on there right now are all loved up wires gone and the ends are snapped off) retrieve old exhaust and bumper from 92 and then start putting it all back together. to get the tranny in the air i am thinking the rope and truck idea again. its so much easier to manuver with it floating in the air. rough drive way and the truck is too high in the air for my floor jack to do any good. getting it under the truck is a differant story though :shrug:P...:( :idea: -bounce- prolly how my mood is going to go with that one lol.

ben

ps-sorry no more pics of the progress i want one of the tranny in the air with rope idea though lol

ok, there is no auto pilot bushing. i now just remember having a tough time actually getting the pilot bushing in (hard time pressing it in) so unless you actually see something that would obstruct it, you should be fine.

not supposed to hit the truck with the wrenches and hammers...they fly and hit the neighbors house or into the middle of the street....

nice tranny jack...mine was the engine hoist thru the door but i had my chain too long and it got in a bind when putting it in and when it came loose it jumped up and busted my front windshield (the 2nd go round went much better in my green truck with the clutch change)

dont feel bad about the fat lip during my engine swap i got 2 black eyes and a fat lip...black eyes came from the wrench slipping off while under the truck and the 1/2 in drive ratchet nailing me in the eye/nose on 2 diff occasions...

good luck...

Edited by unccpathfinder

ok well i got the pilot bushing adaptor out. as i said in my other post i used a blind hole puller and a slide hammer. worked very nicely. got the new pilot bushing in there.

bolted up the flywheel. i ended up putting those two plates back on any way just to be safe.

then bolted on the clutch and pressure plate.

also got the cover on the driver side of the engine (allows access to the four torque converter bolts) back on

that was as far as i got today because i only had between 300 and 445 to work cause of the job. but its progress. tomorrow i am going to retrieve the last of the lines for the clutch system from the JY. i lossed/forgot the connector between the slave cylinder line and the thing-a-ma-bobber (attached to the firewall line runs down to frame rail on passenger side) there is a female joiner in there somewhere that i need to finish it all up and fill the lines to make sure the two cylinders are good. then i still need to find a floor plate and boot for the shifter.