Lock-Right Install in a H233B rear axle

Guest 95PathDN

Guest 95PathDN

Don't know if you want to make this a sticky post, but another guy and I installed a Lock Right this weekend in my 95 Pathfinder. He did a write up on it with pictures, very similar to Hawaiian Hardbody's (on AC boards) Detroit writeup but for a Lock Right. Check it out if you are planning on installing a locker. It really was an easy project and I'd feel comfortable doing one again on my own even with my limited mechanical knowledge. I set up the link to his homepage so you guys and gals can all check out his rigs as well!

http://www.parksoffroad.com/ (the Pathfinder install link is in the middle of this page or click below:)

http://www.parksoffroad.com/miscinstalls/9...erlockright.htm

Guest 95PathDN

Not nearly as bad as I expected. Of course you hear the ratcheting around corners (which I could really care less about!) As long as you don't accelerate heavily when your wheels are turned sharply, you won't chirp the tires. I can tell just the smallest bit of swaying when driving, but that must be because I took off my rear sway bar at the same time. Sway bar off isn't that big a deal, but since I don't fourwheel every day, I might just put it back on. But as far as the locker goes, on-road handling is about as normal as a stock Pathy.

Guest 95PathDN
But as far as the locker goes, on-road handling is about as normal as a stock Pathy.

that's if you are a slow driver in the first place. those with a lead foot might notice a difference :D

Slow driver?!? I guess I'm screwed then. Not exactly slow here at all, just reasonablly fast. Have you tried anthing like a multiple-switchback? Basically, any sort of turns that might expose some binding and such.

If you get on the gas while turning slightly, like changing lanes, the locked rear axles will try to push the vehicle straight ahead as opposed to just inline with the front wheels. Feels wierd, slightly disconcerting, but nothing violent or distracting. Every now and then I get a nice "bang" from the rear end as the Lock-Right side gear locking rings disconnect from the side gears while under JUST the right amount of torque. Sounds terrible...scary even, but is apparently normal and wont cause any damage.

Good write-up! That's perfect. :D

Guest 95PathDN
If you get on the gas while turning slightly, like changing lanes, the locked rear axles will try to push the vehicle straight ahead as opposed to just inline with the front wheels. Feels wierd, slightly disconcerting, but nothing violent or distracting.

I don't feel it as bad as what I thought people made it out to be. I do notice a difference and that it does try to straighten you out, it's just not as dramatic as I anticipated. Would there be a difference in ride quality from a locker in a lifted truck as oppossed to a stock truck? I realize drivetrain and suspension are different, but just wondering if maybe that's why I don't feel a whole lot and all the lifted trucks say they can tell a bigger difference?

Would there be a difference in ride quality from a locker in a lifted truck as oppossed to a stock truck? I realize drivetrain and suspension are different, but just wondering if maybe that's why I don't feel a whole lot and all the lifted trucks say they can tell a bigger difference?

Yep. Adding ride height makes it worse. The suspension components in the rear tend to tweak a little more under power than they would if the suspension was at stock height.

Guest 95PathDN
Gear oil in your hair makes you resistable to the opposite sex! plus it looks smooth. :D

Hmmmmm. I think I'll have to remember this. Maybe that's why the old lady at the auto parts store was giving me funny looks sssh

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 95PathDN

True, maybe simple isn't the right word. But if you take your time and follow the instructions and take your time, and go slow and take your time, then its hard to really mess up. You are working with gears; don't rush it!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Lock Right installed. I took it for a test spin and you can hear the ratchet-y sound when turning but it's not loud or something bothersome. With the sway-bar still attached, it has a little sway to it and again not really noticeable. R&R took something about 4 hours since I was doing everything with handtools and using all the elbow grease I could muster up.

It helps to have an impact wrench to break the bolts holding the bearing caps and carrier. Also something that will hold the third member still. I was using a rag and holding the 3rd member between my legs breaking those bolts loose.

Pulling the axles out: This is what took most of my time since I didn't pull it out far enough. With the body lift and suspension lift, I didn't have enough slack to get the axles far enough with the brake lines still attached. I had to disconnect the parking brakes in order to pull it out far enough. I didn't like how the lines were bent up when I reinstalled the axles.

Removal of the sway bar is recommended for easy access to the nuts on the 3rd member as well as removal of the third member.

I didn't remove the ring. It is not necessary to remove it. Just remove the inner ring of bolts to open the carrier. The outer ring of bolts hold the ring onto the carrier.

I really thought this was a simple install. I didn't even use the the instruction manual that came with the locker. Could've been easier if I had an impact wrench of some sort.

Guest 95PathDN

Good suggestions. For the carrier, put it in a vice instead of between your legs and the nuts will break a lot easier.

By the way, CONGRATS!!!! :clap:

Guest 95PathDN

Yeah, but for some reason it wasn't as bad as I expected. I've never been scared by the bang, everyone always made it seem like it would be worse. Besides my truck makes enough other noises, that it's nice to know that any noise coming from my locker (ratchet, bang) is "normal."

• 1 year later...

yeahah, got my locker today, getting ready for the big install. my new job has a nice, HUGE air compressor and my boss said i could use it for my own rig's work, so im gonna head over and do it at the shop. should be fun. my boss is pretty excited to, haha.(but i would think so, he drives a volvo 240dl) :blink: hope everything goes as smoothly as yours all's did! :unsure: