Grinding noise

I noticed a grinding noise which sounded like it was coming from the passanger front wheel when I hit my brakes. I figured it was brakes because it sounded exactly like worn out brakes. So, I replaced the rotors and pads on the front. Upon removal of the old stuff I still had a decent amount of material still left on the pads. The bearings/races looked fine; I repacked them with grease. Rotors spun fine with no binding, etc.

I have all new pads and rotors up front but when I really hit the brakes, it sounds like metal is grinding still. I checked the backing plates before putting the new hardware on and they both checked out fine with plenty of clearance. The grinding seems to only happen when I really lay on my brakes. I'm going to replace everything in the rear in a few weeks.

Any ideas?

is it wet out where you are? ....cause if it is, the sound you are hearing might be your brakes locking then unlocking so you dont slide out of control (ABS).... ABS is put on most new cars because people were dying due to the fact that they weren't pumping their breaks like they teach you in drivers ed.... so the car companies invented something that does it for you and it sounds like a grinding noise but its really just doing its job

Edited by xkrewx

My dads 98 pathy does that same thing, only when braking hard, but not all the time, he has all new rotors and pads aswell. The grinding that I am hearing is not the ABS it's more of metal on metal, but he has all new stuff up front.

If you have a shim between the pad and caliper I would see if that might be coming loose, and rubbing on the rotor.

Mine had the exact same problem last week, the old pads had 80-90 percent material left on them, no mater how much i cleaned them, and checked everything, it still had the grinding noise.

In the end i replaced the pads on the front as a last resort and that fixed the problem.

Maybe try that....

Mine had the exact same problem last week, the old pads had 80-90 percent material left on them, no mater how much i cleaned them, and checked everything, it still had the grinding noise.

In the end i replaced the pads on the front as a last resort and that fixed the problem.

Maybe try that....

If you read my post you would see that I did replace the pads. :secret: