torsion bars

milehighcowboy

ok so me and sammyb33 have looked for this write up and cant find it. i need to know how to remove my torsion bars to get the ranny out. Nissan said that i could just take the torsion bars and the xmember out all as one unit to eliminate the need for realigning. is this possible? and pics with them cool little arrows and circles you guys do all the time would be awsome. thanks guys.

ben

ben,

if i remember right you do need to take out the cross member.. but i don't think you'll be able to keep everything from sliding apart to prevent re-aligning/indexnig the torsions.

i would just pull the torsions out then teh cross member.

yea but he needs the how to.....i couldnt find it, the one im thinking of i think was on Damaged Reality, which is no longer up and running, so i couldnt find him a good one (a how to remove the tbars).

Remove the Anchor bolt, loosen but do not remove the 3 bolts on the LCA Mount.

Note, Mark L & R, Mark the Angle on the anchors, and note the amount of bolt that is above the 2 Nuts on the Anchor Bolt.

Once they are loose you can tap them backwards with a Mallet and they will come out of the front mounts, then you get to fish them out of the rear anchor point unless you want to remove the Anchor piece... Or Just drop that cross member with the T-bars still in it...

ALSO...

When you Loosen the Anchor bolt the front end will Sag, when you re-install jack the front end up off of the ground....

Covered in Hayne and Chiltons Manuals.....

i was looking for the actual one with pictures....

i have taken mine in and out sooooooooo many times its become second nature....but explaining to someone is a different story, and since i dont have a digital with me, i cant take my own pics.....so i was looking to see if anyone could post up the link to a good writeup....

follow the t bar from the front to the rear...where it stops thats the cross memeber...to the inside it will have an 18mm bolt...back the backnut on the top side off then put the back wrench on the topside and crank away at the bolt...it'll loosen up...jack up the front end before starting and ti will make this a lil easier..air helps out a lot too...then remove the 3 bolts up front on the anchor plate 2 14mm and a 17mm..u'll prob need 2 14mm wrenches to get to the top 1...mark everything before starting then u can figure it out when it goes back together...i usually just pull it out form the front then drop out the Xmember...then i only have to worry with 2 alignment marks...and usually those rear 1's are rusted in pretty good...i PB'd and banged on my 87's and they still wont come apart...

heres everything to pull the engine...as u can see the tbars are still in the x member

2050078_32_full.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

ok so quick edit got em out today. took them out with the x member unccpathfinder said. tomorrow i start on the rear drive shaft it dont want to budge either. then just the tranny to work on. bolts to the engine and the wiring.

Guest SuperSon

ALSO...

When you Loosen the Anchor bolt the front end will Sag, when you re-install jack the front end up off of the ground....

wouldnt it be easier just to jack it up with the tires off the ground before you remove it that way the LCA's is where its going to be when you reinstall it?

Im also assuming that theres more tension on that bar with the tires on the ground :confused:

Edited by SuperSon

wouldnt it be easier just to jack it up with the tires off the ground before you remove it that way the LCA's is where its going to be when you reinstall it?

Im also assuming that theres more tension on that bar with the tires on the ground

you are correct