Selling a vehicle Private Party....

Harbinger

Well as most of you know my Pathy is up for sale *cry* -- and before any potential buyers come and look at it I want to have the private party sale process down pat.

So, my truck is registered now, 30 day sale permit.

What all do I need to have/do?

What info HAS to be on the bill of sale? Date, Price, "Sold as is" etc?

Thanks guys

The rules are going to vary from state to state. The easiest way to find out is look up the Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Revenue on the web for your state. I know in Missouri, you have to fill out a notice of sale, have the buyer sign it, and mail it in within 30 days of the private sale.

The way I do it is, have the title ready, it has a detachable portion on it where you can transfer ownership by writing the persons name and address, then they sign it, then you detach it and mail to the DMV and they mail the new owner the new title.

I only do that procedure when they bring cash money in my face, "i mean hundreds fool".

Just promise the other guy that it has never been off road, never been smoked in....the previous owner was an old lady, and that it's never been in a wreck. :D That's what I'm always told :shrug:

Yeah it varies from state to state, just make sure you get the title transfered as fast as possible.. in case they wreck the vehicle and ditch it.. if you don't do it fast you could be liable for all tickets, towing charges etc... trust me I have had this happen several times..

Also ask to see ID when you are filling out the title in their name, to make sure they are not giving you a fake name...if they did file under a fake name the state could once again pile all the towing/ticket charges on you if it is ditched.

My state (Washington) now has an online filing system for transferring titles, so I can transfer it instantly after the sale... just in case they wreck it on the way home :) (it's happened :P )

It may sound paranoid but it's not fun having to go to court and try and fight off tickets for things you didn't do.

just my 0.2 cents

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike