went to town on the steering

sw

well i know this is delaying the only real solution, but hay this only cost me 2xM18 bolts, some 3/4 brash washers, some 3/4 metal washers & some steel.

i guess you can call this a copy of the l&p/checo link, but I'm in australia & not marketing it :P

what i did was grabbed my old centre link & cut the backs off of the 'tie rod' style ends & removed them and the internal plastic bushes. then welded high tensile M18 bolts in their place. i also had to rework the idler arm brace, just redrilling some holes then welded on a brace to the part of the idler arm that goes to the centre link, to stop that bending aswell. at this stage i dont think i need to brace the pitman arm but time will tell....

just to clarify this vehicle is no longer driven on the roads, as this mod is not legal.

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

the pathy & i will be taking part in an organised 4wd event next weekend so will see how it goes. hopefully with no rotational movement in the centre link the tie rod ends will last longer than 5 minutes...... & i did say hopefully ;)

Edited by sw

Looks cool, but I'd scrap that double-nut idea. L&P tried that when testing their setup and it didn't stay on for long. I'd drill the bolt and use a cotter pin. You want to be real sure it's not going to come loose.

You know what, if that doesn't bind up anywhere I think it just may work. Good job, man! KISS wins again!

being sooooo basic we did think of that, hence grease nipples on both idler & pitman arms. basically if its gonna get use the grease gun will be in the car & i imagine will be in use often. but im willing to find out for my self.

jj thanks for the heads up. might have to look into it, dang its alot harder to drill now.....

rember folks this is not a road vechile so use will be minimal

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...
the pathy & i will be taking part in an organised 4wd event next weekend so will see how it goes.  hopefully with no rotational movement in the centre link the tie rod ends will last longer than 5 minutes...... & i did say hopefully  ;)

well that was the first 4wd competion i been to let alone paticpated in, & wow it was a blast.... :D:D

well the good news was i absolutely hammered the stuff out of the pathy & with NO rotational movement in the centre link, not one tie rod end bent, not only that i had no trouble with the double nut set up. ie i did not make time to put a split/cotter pin through one of the nuts :D:D:D:blink::D

i was very pleased :eek: :eek: :eek:

However i was going hard enough that in the first of 4 stages i did break other stuff. - the splined collar on the drivers side that bolts on to the lower control arm, where the torsion bar slots into - that stripped. so we ripped it out & found some random guy that had a mig welder & lived 30 seconds up the road, so we welded the torsion bar to the collar.... :rolleyes: . put it all back in the car and got it right about 5 seconds before i was up for round two.

welded.jpg

i know the photo is washed out but you can sort of make out the weld

nothing broke in stage 2 or 3 but in stage 4 the splined collar on the passenger side stripped & on the drivers side the welded end of the torsion bar held up BUT the other end got completely smashed up. the torsion bar arm & long bolt got hit on something and it got completely bent right round. the bolt was pushed out of the arm & was bent up as well. so i finshed stage 4 with both sides at the front on the bump stops. didnt get any photos of the bent up torsion bar arm & bolt tho. since stage 4 and day1 was finished i put the pathy back on the trailer and came home, there was day 2 where we were to do it all again, but there was no point in me being there...

so all up had an absolute blast, wrecked the i.f.s. good and proper & at the end of day one i was in position 15 of 34 drivers, not bad ay sly .

just for a bit of perspective i was 1 of 7 cars that did not have 35" tyres or bigger & i was 1 of 3 cars that had i.f.s.

well all i can say is that the ifs is not get fixed, there is only ONE option left & when that happens you will all see it.... :beer:

Edited by sw

didnt really take many photos but i did take a few, if someone one is able to host an .avi pm me & i will put that up & the few photos i took.