New shocks/parts. Again. :D

88pathoffroad

I got a pair of KYB GR-2 nitrogen charged shocks off the rear of a Chevy 2500 4x4 pickup yesterday. Today they're on my Pathfinder's back end along with two 3/4" custom spring spacers. One top, one bottom. Perfect fit, coils are happy to stay put as they are. I can safely say that I have an inch more lift in the rear today than I did yesterday. :D

Up until now, I've been running Rancho RS5116 shocks in the rear, which are about 1" longer than stock 5118's. These are even longer than that, the equivalent of a Rancho 5112. Here's a pic of the KYB versus the Rancho 5116.

kybvsrancho.jpg

I figured out which shock would fit by looking through the Rancho online catalog and shock specifications PDF files at http://www.gorancho.com .

To use the Chevy shocks, I had to swap the bushings from my old Ranchos onto the new KYB's, which was kind of a PITA, but nothing me and the trusty bench vise couldn't handle. ;)

I also installed a set of AC's 1" balljoint spacers on the front end that I bought from a friend a while ago for $20. I also re-cranked the driver's side torsion bar, cause it was sagging a bit. Man, did that throw my alignment off! Holy crap. I need to get this aligned before I can drive it.

You're gonna see some NICE back-end flex now...in a couple of weeks, I'm heading back out to Brown's Camp for some camping and weekend wheeling! I also managed to score a complete entire steering system off the same Pathfinder. The inner tie rods are kinda wobbly, but hey, if I break one on the trail I know these will fit exactly. I even rebuilt the idler arm and made sure it was ready to go, just in case. Now, if I could only find some decent CV axles to rebuild and take with me... ;)

By the way, here are overall shock lengths for the following Rancho shock numbers:

5118: 14" compressed, 22.25" extended, travel: 8.25"

5116: 14.875" compressed, 24" extended, travel: 9.125"

5112: 16" compressed, 26.25" extended, travel: 10.25"

I'm going by shocks with the same mounting style(L1), top and bottom, by number. Actually, the 5116's are slightly less than 1" longer than the 5118's. My bad. These KYB's are at least 2.5" longer then the 5116's, though. Maybe they're NOT the equivalent of the 5112. o.o Hmmm...*looks*

5012: 19" compressed, 32.5" extended, travel: 13.5"

O.O

I gotta go measure tomorrow when it's light out. Wow. That reminds me, I need to lower my rear axle bumpstops. That or get full replacements. Eesh. Wouldn't want to compress it too far and squash a shock. I already broke my rear rock light by hitting it on the panhard rod. D'oh.

Show me the spring spacers!!!

I've been thinking about those for a while.

Whe loaded with all my recovery gear my new coils sag and make it an inch lower than the front, so if i space it out an inch , it will sit level when loaded.

Or somthing like that.

Just wondering if i can make some.

coilspacers.jpg

I had to trim more material out of the center of the spacers after I took this pic, but otherwise, there they are. That's 3/4" rubber floormat material. I'll getcha a pic of them installed in a bit.

Hey 88 I got a complete front end from an 87 pathy that i want to part out. How bad do you want those CV's? I'm sure i could part with them. They were in working order when i removed them. No poping, boots are good, ETC.

Let me know B)

Hm hm, it'd be nice if I actually had money to spend before trying to make offers on parts from people... :( Dammit. Lemme see how long it'll take me to make some more moolah... *starts cranking on the dollah bill printer handle*

MMmk, now that I measure, these KYB's are 16.5" compressed. I'm just going to say that they're the equivalent of a Rancho 5112. They also help support the rear end a bit, cause they're gas charged. :D The Ranchos aren't.

Here's a pic of the spacers and shocks installed...

newrearlift.jpg

Getting worn, they sure don't look new any more. Tons of cuts on the tread blocks and a few gouges in the sidewalls...but I've had them on for about three years now. I dunno about mileage, but it would seem to me to be at least 20,000 miles since I had them put on. I didn't buy them for their treadwear properties. ;)

I've been wondering about tread wear myself. My BFG M/T's have probably 40K miles on them and still have probably 1/3 tread left. They're insane. When they go, I was looking at something like the MT Baja Claws or (smaller) Swampers for looks and ability, but don't know about tread life or noise. Has anybody out there compared this sort of thing? I do a lot of highway driving, but have been known to get sloppy as well.

i just got some mudterrains bfgoodrich i know i am gonna howl be interesting to see the wear factor on these big meat fatties P...

oh yeah edit back to the original thought i was going to go get some ranchero rs5000, now i am hitting the wrecking yard to find those kyb gr2's and some other trail extras that i can find so i can start a mini Nissan business out of my apartment :hide:

Now THAT'S a good comparison pick. I'll now hide in shame over my 31's. :hide::P BTW, would you say good shocks and such are a fairly easy find in the bone yard? None of the local shops carry Rancho's and such, but all gladly order them with some shipping. I need to go exploring.