Best audio

Firex18

Couldn't give you names honestly..I'm getting too old for that chit, but I have been to around 15- 20 just for fun with a friend who competed...he got sponsored by audiobahn and some other crap...I haven't been to any nationals or anything....been to a few in San Diego, Aneheim, Ca. (few years back), Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia Beach, etc. I don't know enough (or have the funds) to enter, but I just go with friends who are really into it when I can. It just amazes me seeing these Fosgate vans, and other "Sponsor" run vehicles blast away with no interiors...saw a van, think it was a fosgate, don't remember....the whole interior was fiberglass and concrete...no it may have been MTX....but anyway, my friend just says "there's an audio comp next week, wanna go? I'm there. I don't follow up on them at all, and haven't been 2 one in the last year either....but the ones that I have gone to, wow! My friend has only won a few...he always takes drive by for his class if it's one of the available entries....but SPL's only a few times. :wacko:;)

Edited by govols74n

If you want Sound Quality.

Go for an Eclipse head-unit.

Infinity component speakers. Go 6.5's up front, 6x9's out back.

If you want to go NON mainstream but still amazing quality, go Digital Designs. Their 6.5" component sets are fairly cheap right now, as are their 6x9 components and 6x9 coax's.

If you go with components, you'll definitely want to amp them, to take full advantage of them.

Even if you don't go with components, you may want to amp them a little bit.

Now, for a sub and sub amp.

I've always been a fan of Kicker. Stay away from Rockford, as they have gone downhill majorly in the past 5 years. If you go Rockford, go oldschool.

MTX isn't bad, and a fairly good price. Audiobahn seems to be more of a "show" brand, as opposed to "performance" but to each his own.

Kicker amps are expensive, and decent quality. Zapco amps are expensive and amazing quality. Orion amps are priced fairly well, and are great amps.

My next setup will be an Eclipse deck (great because of their high voltage preouts, options and price), 6.5" or 6x9" DD Components up front, 6.5" DD Components in the rear doors, 6x9 DD Components in the back, all powered off a Zapco amp. Two 10" Kicker L5 or L7s (the square Kickers) powered off of a Kicker or Orion amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a twist to the discussion.

How would you go for best sound least expensive.

My speakers are shot and I expect to replace the doors and back, I listened to infinities at Best buy and they sucked, The have a set of Alpines that were much better for 110.

I would also like to add a sub or maybe build a box with a couple of 8's or maybe 10"s. Doesn't have to be show quality but I'd like it to sound nice.

I entered a comp back in like 83 with a mustang, We had tweets on the dash with a 100 watt amp, 5" mids in the doors again with seperate 100 watt amp, and a box with two 10"s with a 300 watt amp.

Pushed 126.3 Db

the whole thing had a 3 way crossover seperating out the audio, crystal clear.

I think MTX was the highest shelf item.

People are always obsessed with watts, 1000watts this, 600 watts that...its all bs. You have to look at the normal numbers. Your 1000 watt amp is probably only around 350-500 watts rms, and 300 watt 6x9's can only really take 150. Dont go by the number plastered on with stickers.

As far as audiobahn, in my experience some of their products are okay, most are cheap crap, but not all.

Best sound, least expensive...lets see. Decent cd player should start in the $150 area, such as a Pioneer DEHP3900MP, which gives 50x4 (but is really only 22x4), subwoofer control, loud feature, built in high pass filters, and an auxiliary input. Speakers, depending on your size, should start around $100 for a pair of 6.5". Eclipse, polk, kicker, alpine, and infinity all have entry level models for around this price. Most important, bypass the factory amplifiers. WHen the speakers are being powered off the head unit as opposed to the factory amps (which could be bad anyway) they sound much better. When you upgrade, get a big 4 channel, run the fronts and a sub off the amp, rears off the radio, or get two seperate amps or a 5 channel to run everything. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you see a new 1000 watt amp for $100, and a different brand 500 watt for $200 new, there is probably a reason. Hope this helps.

Edited by 93xe