What fluid to use?

SantaCruz163

I'm going to change the fluid in my tranny (manual) and front/rear diffs. Only problem is, I don't know what I should be using. My Trans Am used Dextron III ATF in the T56 (6spd) and I'm not sure if there is a certain fluid I should be using. Diifs.... I don't have the slightest idea. Thanks.

At 150k miles, is it worth switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil, or should I continue with regular dino oil?

After reading on this forum (and the manual):

Engine 5-30

Manual trans: 75-90 GL4 only, didn't look up AT since I don't have it

Front and Rear diff: 80-90 GL-5 if you have a limited slip then it needs to meet the spec for limited slip

Transfer: ATF Dexron

I just replaced all of mine with synthetic, Castrol 5-30 for engine, Redline MTR 75-90 for trans, Redline 75-90 for diff and synthetic ATF Dexron III for transfer. It may be my imagination but my Pathy seems quieter. I am not sure if the synthetic is hype or not, but thought I would give it a try (albeit an expensive one).

Edited by CALPATHY

Thanks for the info. Is there a code on my door jam I should look for to see if I have a limited slip diff?

I don't think so. If you have an SE model then you should have the limited slip.

Also, there was a tag on my diff that said to use limited slip gear oil only.

Lastly, if you jack up the rear end and turn the wheel if they both turn in the same direction it is a limited slip, if they turn opposite direction it is not.