cam seals

fondo

Ive used a small flatblade screwdriver to slide under the seal and push the screwdriver sideways and should pop the seal out. Be careful not to scratch the cam surface.

and dont scratch the heads surface where the seal seats...i usually slide it under and pull it up till it bends enough to get some needle nose pliers on it and pull it out...

Other things I've done in the past, with proper care of course!

- If a metal shell on the face of the seal, carefully drill a hole and insert a sheet metal screw and pull out with vice grips.

- bend a low carbon content nail at a right angle and grind it into a flat hook that can fit between seal lip and shaft. Hold head with pliers and tug out.

I used the sheet metal screw method as mentioned above, but my old seals had the metal ring on the inside facing the cam where you couldn't see it. Worked pretty well. Just use a very small bit and drill in the center of the seal. The first cam lobe sits a good way behind the seal so there's plenty of room for the bit to punch through. Once you get the hole started, put a glob of grease on the seal to catch all the shavings from dropping into the heads and you're good.

Guest SuperSon
Other things I've done in the past, with proper care of course!

- If a metal shell on the face of the seal, carefully drill a hole and insert a sheet metal screw and pull out with vice grips.

- bend a low carbon content nail at a right angle and grind it into a flat hook that can fit between seal lip and shaft. Hold head with pliers and tug out.

I was thinking of doing something like that but Wouldnt the shavings from drilling hurt anything though?

I used the sheet metal screw method as mentioned above, but my old seals had the metal ring on the inside facing the cam where you couldn't see it. Worked pretty well. Just use a very small bit and drill in the center of the seal. The first cam lobe sits a good way behind the seal so there's plenty of room for the bit to punch through. Once you get the hole started, put a glob of grease on the seal to catch all the shavings from dropping into the heads and you're good.

What he said...