timing

89_trailboss

19 is rather high.... dang.

factory is 15 degrees. before she was at 13/14.... and lugged. i have her at 15 now and she does good on gas and has good low end power, which is great for towing the boat. if i wanted to race. ida bought a fast car.

at 19 degrees, how can your pathy even run CLOSE to good? ah well, different strokes fer different folks i guess.

and i think a lot of it is your motor.... some motors run good at 16 degrees, some run good at 15..... play with it and see what suits you. :beer:

*i found with mini. 15 she likes best. 16/17 was too much and she raced*

Edited by Slick

Guest SuperSon

I thought it was 12 deg???????? :confused: The marks on the HB are 0 / 5 / 10 / 15 right? .

Edited by SuperSon

don't know if the vg30e has a knock sensor, but my vg30i doesn't, you DO NOT want to knock or you can plan on replacing headgaskets, valves...something will go eventually. more timing=more gas mileage, more power. lower timing=you can pee in the tank and it will run. my advice, raise the timing one degree at a time until it pings. then back off one degree. i'm pretty sure 12 deg is where it's supposed to be at.

The VG30E can run well at a wide range of timing settings. My older 87 200SX with the VG30E has a stock setting of 20 degrees before TDC. I actually run it at 30 degrees before TDC and it runs great! On a dyno, it actually gained me 15hp at the wheels. However, the Pathfinder has a lower stock setting, so I wouldn't run anywhere close to 30, but I can see how 19 would feel pretty good.

15 degrees is the factory timing setting for 90-95 VG30E's. (maybe other years, i don't know)....... maybe... *hunts down her FSM to check* now.. where's that damn page....... -study-

*ok, STILL couldn't find it in either manual, but now i remember who said it was 15 degrees. the guy who smogged mini me last year... doesn't mean to say he's right, and she runs like a champ at 15 degrees with no pings at all*

*steps aside* ok.... we'll say 12 degrees...... seems to be the consensus. :lol:

Edited by Slick

Stock timing on a VG30i is 12 degrees. Says so in the FSM. :) Also, they didn't change cam design until they went to the 3.3. Across the board on all the VG30E's I've seen. Same cams. Doesn't that suck? Anyway, what I was getting at is that seems to indicate to me that you can probably run the VG30i's at 15 and get away with it without a knock sensor.

So THAT'S where the extra 8 HP came from!! :P

86/87 VG30i: 152 HP@5200RPM, 162 TQ@6200 RPM

88/89 VG30i: 145 HP@4800 RPM, 166 TQ@2800 RPM

90-up VG30E: 153 HP@4800 RPM, 180 TQ@4000 RPM

Stock timing on a VG30i is 12 degrees. Says so in the FSM. :) Also, they didn't change cam design until they went to the 3.3. Across the board on all the VG30E's I've seen. Same cams. Doesn't that suck? Anyway, what I was getting at is that seems to indicate to me that you can probably run the VG30i's at 15 and get away with it without a knock sensor.

So THAT'S where the extra 8 HP came from!! :P

86/87 VG30i: 152 HP@5200RPM, 162 TQ@6200 RPM

88/89 VG30i: 145 HP@4800 RPM, 166 TQ@2800 RPM

90-up VG30E: 153 HP@4800 RPM, 180 TQ@4000 RPM

Just double checked my 95 FSM, and yes, it's 15degrees +/- 2degrees BTDC.

So it seems they did advance the timing....and I concur with 88 that the VG30i could run just as well at 15 degrees as the VG30e