Stock speakers: detail of factory cross-overs?

leojharris

hey there.

i just put a new set of door speakers in my 95 pathfinder. they are fairly cheap components (forget size, fit perfectly in door).

what i'm wondering is this ...

are the crossovers used for the door speaker and the tweeters built into the original pathfinder speaker that i took out of the door or are the crossovers actually seperate and in line before the tweet and door speaker?

i simply hooked the component speakers up where the single mid was originally located in the door; didn't touch the wiring a bit. the tweets are still running.

i'm not getting very good reproduction through the mid ranges is why i ask ... but some serious and definite low end tones ... i'd hate to just be sending mids/lows to these new components as they also incorporate a tweeter.

thanks in advance.

I installed speakers in my front doors too (I have a 95), along with the same speakers in the back (where there are also tweeters). I've had them in for a good 6 months now, and haven't had any problems with how they sound (they sound awesome), so I would assume that the cross over is built so that the highs do come through your new speakers.

Also, when I first installed the speakers, I tested them out before actually putting them in the door ( as in, wired them in but held the speaker outside the door and tested it) and the highs came through it just fine. It was far enough away so that the sound coming through the tweeters was separate enough for me to hear the speaker by itself.

So I'm pretty sure that your tweeter in your speaker is working, as I'm pretty sure that it works in mine.

I installed speakers in my front doors too (I have a 95), along with the same speakers in the back (where there are also tweeters). I've had them in for a good 6 months now, and haven't had any problems with how they sound (they sound awesome), so I would assume that the cross over is built so that the highs do come through your new speakers.

Also, when I first installed the speakers, I tested them out before actually putting them in the door ( as in, wired them in but held the speaker outside the door and tested it) and the highs came through it just fine. It was far enough away so that the sound coming through the tweeters was separate enough for me to hear the speaker by itself.

So I'm pretty sure that your tweeter in your speaker is working, as I'm pretty sure that it works in mine.

thanks ...

If you're running the stock amps, you'll be fine. The issue is that the crossover for the front component speakers is in the amp. So if you bypass the factory amps, chances are you'll kill the stock tweeters (like I did) in no time. That is, unless you run a crossover for them.

Theoretically, you could.

But I doubt it would be worth the effort. The stock amps are optimized (equalized) for the limitations of the stock speakers, and that usually means they are a very non-linear output and may (or may not) sound really bad with a different speaker.

I think my rear right speaker is finished, it crackles even at moderate volumes. The rest sound great for stock though. I just want to replace that speaker and put in a cd player. Are there adaptors for hooking a new head unit to the stock amps?

My dads 2000 path also has very good sound for stock. I'm impressed with the quality of the components.

sorry don't mean to hijack the post, just thought i should ask while i remembered.

Edited by redfinder