1987 VG30E into a 1992 Pathy

milehighcowboy

I need to know exactly what parts i need to remove from my old 1992 VG30E engine inorder to replace it with a 1987 VG30E engine. If you have pictures of what and where they are that would be even better. i have searched and all i get is intake. there has to be more that i need to change over. i think maybe i am wrong shooting in the dark here though guys.

ben

That would be a 87 VG30i, not a VG30E. The 92 is a VG30E.

Basically....the intake, the TBI, and that's about it. Does the 92 have a ribbed belt or v-belts? I forget. You might have to swap a pulley if so. Oh, and the 92 will have a knock sensor in the middle of the block on top, the VG30i doesn't have one so you can prolly just unplug it and leave it there.

I guess my question would be...do u want the TBI (not sure y u would) or the EFI...if you want to do a straight drop of the EFI engine it will be a touch more involved...but if u just want to be able to use the lower end of the engine 88 has it covered

and of course do the typical changes B4 u make the swap...ie water pump, timing belt, cam seals, rear main and all that other crap

Edited by unccpathfinder

TBI is basically a fancy carbuerator...fuel injectors incorporated into the throttle body. While it was nifty when first developed, comparitavely its a load of crap compared to multi port. MPFI has an injector into each individual cylinder..much more efficient, in pretty much every way.

If you have the choice of goin with multi port fuel injection, I can't really think of any pros for a TBI system.

Non really... The pullys may be a little off for the belts, that is about all I can think of.

Both of my 87's have a rod through the oil pan. They changed the design of the rods on the W series. If you are going through all the work of putting a new engine in, it just seems you would want the updated setup. The new "floating pin" rod design also gave the vg30i more power. So you would have even less power than you were used to before. I think somewhere I read it was something like 10-15hp less.

Here is a pdf with the differences...

Click here

It shows how to tell if it is a "W" series block or not.

Who knows you may have the updated unit :aok:

Edited by AK9849cy