Girl Troubles

Smashfinder

ok, problem... for a while now

92 pathfinder, 5-Spd XE, 250Km on Odometer. VG30E - MPFI

Intermittently runs like crap. Feels like a V5, or sometimes less. In some cases, can stall when Idling. Lots of gas smell, and white smoke. Havent found a trigger yet, but it started after some 'in the water' time. That was months ago. I can get the vehicle to run a bit better with mass amounts of Injector cleaner, but even then... While Ive been troublshooting, weve been gettin a lot of wetness on the left coast, so the water may be a factor.

Ive replaced the sparks, and wires, and distibutor cap, and of course fuel filter. tried to reset the ECU a few times, but doesnt seem to do much. Also, the timing belt is only 6 months old, and the air filter is clean. again, the problem is intermittent, so, maybe an injector that is partially clogged..

My mind, with some assistance, has come to some possibilities:

-fuel injectors-plea$e no

-air intake leak

-ehaust manifold leak and/or o2 sensor

-head gasket maybe

-Water in the Fuel tank, or possibly the fuel pump itself..

Anyone had this problem, or have a suggestion? She's driving me nuts!

Oh, and if anyone saw on my intro, I had a problem with the Calmini steering kit, but it was the wrong Pitmann arm. Calmini is sending the other one free of charge. sweet. I really cant wait to get that in there...

Thanks for the advice on the steering kit

Edited by Smashfinder

That fuel smell and lack of power is from a fuel injector dumping. Its having trouble opening and closing and is on its way out and is just flooding the cyclinder at times. This happened to my gf's v6 cougar - Id take it to a shop to get a Dx.

Have you tried running a diagnostic on your ECU to see if it throws any codes? That would help narrow it down. Also - check all your connectors, especially the fuel injector connectors, MAF connector, and O2 connector. They can get corrosion in them and cause a bad connection.

wasnt the distributor rotor. Was hopin it might be.

I did get a good price on the injectors though, so im goona put those in when i get em. i couldnt get any codes from the dealership, cause every time the truck getrs near there, she starts runnin fine

i will clean the MAF sensor before i buy the parts, but im really leanin toward the injectors. Ill do the O2 sensor for good measure

I lean toward the injector, because when i swapped the plugs a few weeks ago, one was covered in soot

sounds just like when my head gasket went out..... very little smoke, power loss, gas stink....... thought it was my injectors and it was actually a slightly broken piston and a HG gone.