coverting the timing belt

milehighcowboy

You'd need a different crank sprocket as well. The only difference is the rounded teeth on the 100K interval belts. I should know. Since I installed Dowser's belt for his 91 on my 95......which worked, though, made a hell of a racket!!! -alcohol- :crazy:

How would one know if this has been done to their vehicle? Is it an aftermarket part or is it Nissan? The person That I bought my Finder from had theirs changed every 100k and it runs great. I'm at 260k now and am worried about changing it. Should I be or do I have more time? It's a 91 VG30e. I'm the 2nd owner.

Thanks,

Dan

On a 91, it should be done every 60K miles. I wouldn't leave it much longer than that. Some have lasted 100k, some 200k, but I wouldn't want to be the one that doesn't, y'know?

Yep. Suggested maintenance intervals are based on MTBF and risk analysis.

There is probably something like a .01% chance of failure at 60K

then .05% at 100k

and 10% at 200k

Those are made up numbers to illustrate a point, but reality is that a belt will not spontaneously combust at 61K miles. It is just that the risk of failure is continuously increasing from day 1, and the Nissan engineers and marketers have determined that the failure rate at 60K miles is about as much as the average consumer will tolerate.

So sure, you can push it quite a bit - but be aware of the risk and don't blame anyone but yourself if you're one of the unlucky few.