How to install warn hubs

xkrewx

I was talking to the local offroad chop owner and he told me that he would charge me 250$ to order and install the Warn manual hubs. I then asked him if it was something i could do myself and he told me that i would have to have a "special" tool... is this true or is he just trying to screw me over.

the only way I would think you would need a special tool, is if they were repacking your bearings also for that price, even then, you can get away without the tool...

yeah i thought he was trting to throw me for a loop...a few years ago i had him order some basic headers for my chevy and install them ...he charged me alittle over 800 dollars for that....luckily my parents paid for it as i was still in highscholl and didnt have any money.... this guy is trying to screw people

Dude, You can find the tool for like $40 and buy a bearing repacker for $30 and super premium grease for like $10...the warns are up to $130....that's $210 for all of the goodies!!! Lord yes he is trying to kill you! You can swap the hubs with the truck on the ground and wheels on!!!

Project Pathfinder

these guys do a good write up on it, not sure if i gave the right link but you'll figure it out!

Chris

Edited by 98silverpathy

he told me that i would have to have a "special" tool... is this true or is he just trying to screw me over.

The special tool he is referring to is the bearing locknut socket, which can run around $30 if you order one, much less if you buy one that's close and bend/grind it to fit. This is used to seat the bearings after packing with 58-72 ft/lbs of torque prior to setting final preload, but many just use a hammer and punch to seat the bearings.

Here's a link to the tool: http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_pro...product_id=2020

You're right, I repacked mine at the same time so I put the two jobs together in my head. Without the repack this is an hour or less job, very easy to do yourself. Only problem might be getting the drive flange off if you haven't done that before, but everything else is easy.

this may yet agaian be an absolutely stupid question but....whast the point of repacking the bearings....and how difficult is it to do?

Grease lubricates the wheel bearings. The grease eventually starts to wear out, gets dirty, or gets contaminated with water. When this happens, you repack the bearings with new grease.

I forget the recommended maintenance interval.

The process of repacking the bearings requires dissassembly and removal of the outer hub, removing the brake caliper assembly, removing the outer bearing, sliding off the brake rotor and hub, removing the inner grease seal and inner bearing, cleaning everything up, repacking the bearings, and reassembling it all.

It's not especially difficult, but it is time consuming and pretty messy.

Click the following links for some pics:

Bearing Repack

Hub Replacement (similar procedure)

basically yes... it couldnt hurt to do them now if you dont know when they were last done... I typically do mine once a year, but that's b/c I am in a lot of water & mud...

Yup. You've got the idea. However, a bearing repacking tool forces all of the old grease out of the bearings as it's replaced by new grease. Unless you use a parts cleaner to completely remove all of the grease from the bearings, you shouldn't just apply the grease with your fingers.

There are two types of bearing packing tools I've seen. One is a container with a plunger, the other looks like a pair of funnels connected with a threaded rod. You can find an example of both versions here. Your local auto parts store should carry at least one type.

Packie88 and i are ordering 2 sets of hubs tonight because we will get a %10 discount on them. The cost will end up being $120 for a set... at the same time we have decided to repack our bearings when we put the hubs on...Im pretty sure that between the two of us we can do it...but (theres always a but) i will probably be asking more stupid questions that i should probably already know the answers to....please bear with me..thanks

my pathy is going in for annual inspection this weekend, and i was gonna have my mechanic also flush some of my fluids - oil, lsd, tcase. i am a few k from the 60k interval, but i doubt they have ever been done. maybe i should add this to the list. my pathy was bought used and i am pretty sure the po did nothing for it. maybe get some warns too, since i would be paying for the labor anyway. thoughts?

Edited by tecciball