check engine light

Illusionist

my check engine light periodically comes on for about 5 minutes then goes off. it happens maybe once or week or so and i was thinking about checking the ecu codes, but if the light doesn't stay on, will the ecu still hold the codes if something is wrong?

My check engine light came on and flickered off and on for a couple of days, then it came on and stayed on. I had no idea what it was, and Auto zone couldn't check the codes, because I've got a 95 and it's not the quick hook up that Auto Zone uses. To check the code on mine, you have to fiddle under the seat I think. Anyway, took it to the dealership and it was a faulty oxygen sensor. They found out which one (I think mine has three) and changed it for about $125.00 if I remember correctly. Never had another problem with that light.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i finally got around to checking my codes, and the only one returned was 32, EGR Function.

Not really sure what that means, but i've looked around and most people just say to check the hoses, but i'm not exactly sure what hoses to check and what to check for.

Anyone else know what could be causing this?

The little valve you have your fingers on is called the Back Pressure Tranducer Valve (BPT). The little rubber hose under it looks cracked and probably leaks. Just replace the piece of hose and go from there. Sometimes, I have found thats metal hose plugged where it goes down by the egr vavle.

Wanna here something crazy, I am replacing a timing belt on a 95 Pickup with a V6, and there are no EGR components. Looks like factory block plates are installed. Definately dont look like aftermarket or someone had tinkered with it.

The BPT valve is what controls the EGR vavle. Exhaust pressure is what comes out of that hose. It pushes up on the valve inside and allows vacuum to travel to the EGR vavle and open it. If no exhaust pressure, no EGR operation. That is the system in a nutshell. Usually the EGR system is what is effected when the exhaust is opened up too much(lack of backpressure).

ok, so i went to my local NAPA and got some replacement vacuum hoses. I took the others that were dried out and cracked and they handed me replacements at no charge. So i slipped them on and haven't had any problems so far.

thanks again for all the help.

What I have noticed with my 1995 Path (171,000 miles) is that when it is not driven for long periods of time (2 months or so) the first time or two out it was sporadically run like crap, lose power, and the CEL will light. Then the light will shut off and all will be fine. I have no clue what to atribute this too, but my Path is fine and has been for a while.

Zack