coils to leaves

milehighcowboy

It totally depends on how you set it up. Light leafs will flex a LOT, but then you have to convert the rear axle, weld on leaf perches, fab a bunch of stuff...it's way cheaper and easier to stick with coils and just get longer shocks.

Show me a leaf-sprung rear end doing something like this on a DD and you can copy their idea. ;)

115625_176_full.jpg

I hear this argument all the time on the club trail runs. The Xterra guys don't really like seeing the kind of stock flex we get from simply adding 5112's, 3" of lift and disconnect/removal of the rear sway bar. The only way they get similar flex is running revolver shackles with aftermarket leaves.

Mostly stock flex.

FH000012.jpg

A buddy of mine with Revolver Shackles and new leavz.

200610.jpg

Good luck with your decision. :beer:

If cost is no object, you can get as much flex as you want out of either. They are both working under the same principles. However, multi leaf packs will always have more friction so theoretically they are slightly inferior. And getting a moderately large amount of travel out of a stock leaf system is usually more difficult than a stock coil.

As I say so often, "resist the temptation to confuse popular with better".

As a non Jeep owner, I know you understand the concept! :D

well i am going to stick with my coils i have now. what should i look at for getting longer shocks. i would love to get the kind of flex 88 is showing. money is a huge issue have very little of it. i may look to pulling from a newly trashed truck. in a junk yard some where. any help is welcome thanks guys.

Hey 88 what was the ex and col length of those shocks by chance? I am getting some 29 in ex. and was wondering if that is what those were. I think I might need a coil retainer or something. Also the rear crossmember might need some trimming so the driveline wont rub.