Info on Bosch Platinum +2 & +4 Plugs

red-finder

I was thinking about buying a set of these and wanted to see if anyone has tried them. They say they are pre-gapped. I tried to change the plugs in my 88 Pathfinder and could not get it to run smooth again until I took it to someone and had them get it running right.

Now I have a 95 SEV6 and wondered if these plugs would work or what you guys recommend for new plugs and how easy it is to change them yourself, and have it run good when your done.

I don't do a lot of engine work on my pathy, but I'm trying to learn :hide:

Thanks for any info!

I use the Platinum plus 4's and I love them ... changing them out isn't such a big deal ... but you should get a u-joint style extension and a socket to get the last rear plug on the drivers side out... it can be a little tight back there ...

the plugs themselves are pretty good ... and after a 173 thousand miles, all I had to do was pull em, clean 'em and put 'em back in ... they seem to go forever ...

Did you have to do any tuning after you put the plugs in or did you just take the old ones out and put the new ones in and hook your wires back up?

actually all I did was change the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and cerified that the timing was set ... all of this can be easily achieved by a novice mechanic ...

Ok guys I am going to go against the grain on this one. I have recently read an article about plugs and test that was done to determine the amount of energy required to spark them and the duration and energy of the spark. All of the forked plugs and the platinum plugs required more energy and had a shorter suration than the standard plugs. The actual test showed that Champion required the least amount of energy and had the longest duration. NGK was a close second.

Obviously high energy output and long spark duration should be the way to go to get the best efficiency on the fuel. My guess is that you are seeing an improvement because the old plugs were in bad shape and needed changing.

I run NGK plugs in my Pathy. For some reason they are the only plug that I have found that stays tight. All of the other plugs lossen up as the engine heats and cools. :hide:

I have tried a LOT of other plugs ... and the plus 4's work fine for me ... doesn't mean that I am saying everybody should run out and get their selves a set ... efficiency for a spark plug all depends on how the vehicle is used and tuned ... I personally use mine at high rpms quite a bit, and have a MSD ignition and coil ... so power to the plug isn't a problem and the electrodes actually probe further into the combustion chamber than other plugs that I have tried (ie - its longer) ... so for me this setup works ...

Ok guys I am going to go against the grain on this one. I have recently read an article about plugs and test that was done to determine the amount of energy required to spark them and the duration and energy of the spark. All of the forked plugs and the platinum plugs required more energy and had a shorter suration than the standard plugs. The actual test showed that Champion required the least amount of energy and had the longest duration. NGK was a close second.

Obviously high energy output and long spark duration should be the way to go to get the best efficiency on the fuel. My guess is that you are seeing an improvement because the old plugs were in bad shape and needed changing.

I run NGK plugs in my Pathy. For some reason they are the only plug that I have found that stays tight. All of the other plugs lossen up as the engine heats and cools. :hide:

The plugs I replaced were NGK. Yes they were old, but there was a definate help. It could be the combination of new plugs, cap & rotor, but there is a difference and I'm happy with them.